Liverpool Vs. Everton, FA Cup Semifinal 2012: Liverpool Win 2-1 After Andy Carroll's Late Goal

Liverpool booked a trip to the FA Cup final for the 14th time in their history as second half goals from Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll lead them to a come-from-behind victory over crosstown rivals Everton in today's FA Cup Semifinal.

The second half opened with Liverpool pressing for an equalizing goal, but unfortunately for them the first chance they had fell to Andy Carroll. For former Newcastle United striker's unmarked header from inside the six-yard box on 47 minutes, predictably, went well wide of Tim Howard's goal.

Liverpool eventually did get an equalizer on 62 minutes when Luis Suarez capitalized on a huge mistake from Sylvain Distin. Having done the hard work and turned Suarez, the French defender's back pass was under hit to Howard, allowing Suarez a clean run at goal. The Uruguayan made no mistake in slotting the ball coolly under Howard sending the fans behind the goal into raptures.

Through the second half Everton seemed to struggle with Liverpool's quick interplay, and fast counter attacks, and really a shadow of the defensive steel shown in the first half. Manager David Moyes moved to remedy this by bringing on the more defensive minded Seamus Coleman for Magaye Gueye shortly after the Suarez goal. Sensing blood, Liverpool introduced Maxi Rodriguez for Jordan Henderson.

Leon Osman tested Brad Jones with a swerving effort on 76 minutes, which nearly caught the Australian goalkeeper out as what should have been a routine stop turned into a nervy moment.

The ball went straight down the other end however, and as Suarez and Steve Gerrard flew into tackles in and around the Everton penalty area, Andy Carroll picked up the ball and flashed a shot just inches wide as the final ten minutes approached.

Liverpool saw a penalty appeal turned down in the 83rd minute when following a bit of a scramble, there were calls for handball against an Everton defender, however they fell on deaf ears, and would have only masked the fact that Carroll missed another easy chance during the melee.

With four minutes remaining in normal time, Carroll went from villain to hero as he handed Liverpool a deserved lead for their second half endeavor. Having won a freekick near teh corner flag after Coleman's rash challenge on Gerrard, the ball was floated into the area, and Carroll flicked the ball into the far corner of Howard's goal, giving the American no chance, an shattering the hearts of 30,000 Everton fans inside Wembley Stadium.

It could have been three on 89 minutes when Maxi Rodriguez got a toe to a Suarez cross, but Howard this time kept his side in with brief glimmer of hope with four minutes of stoppage time approaching.

However it was to be Liverpool's day as no chance came for Everton, who paid the price for a disastrous second half showing, and will be returning to Wembley in a few weeks time to play either Tottenham Hotspur or Chelsea in the final.

For more thoughts and reaction to todays game check out our Liverpool site, Anfield Asylum, and for an Everton slant check out Royal Blue Mersey.

Log In Sign Up

Log In Sign Up

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.


You must be a member of to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at You should read them.


You must be a member of to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at You should read them.




Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.