An crane collapse at the Arena Corinthians in Sao Paolo World Cup matches this coming summer, including the opening match on June 12th, 2014.workers, according to reports from Brazil. The future home of Corinthians had been scheduled to host six
Vejam imagens da tragédia na Arena Corinthians. pic.twitter.com/Vrz1h7FYHd— FutebolnoPonto (@Futebolnoponto) November 27, 2013
Reports are still flooding out of Brazil in the wake of the collapse, but we've been told so far is that a construction crane collapsed as a result of soil bearing failure. The crane appears to have fallen onto the roof truss, which also failed and caused significant damage to the east stand. The accident is reported to have occurred during a general lunch break, so a large number of workers were not close to the site.
Arena Corinthians was scheduled to open in February 2014 and two weeks ago construction was said to be nearly 94% complete. Questions will be asked as to whether the accident will lead to a delay in the stadium's completion, but the loss of life seems far more important right now.
Update: Original reports that three people died in the accident were inaccurate. There were two fatalities.