Maria Sharapova is on the brink of elimination at the WTA Championships after suffering her second loss of the season-ending tournament.
Sharapova was defeated 7-6 (4), 6-4 on Wednesday by 2011 French Open Champion Li Na, who is making history as the first Chinese player to make the tournament. Sharapova had led the first set 4-2 before giving up the lead, which she never regained (Li pulled ahead 5-2 in the second set).
Sharapova won't be eliminated from the Istanbul tournament if she manages to beat Victoria Azarenka.
Azarenka is perfect in the tournament thus far, defeating 2011 U.S. Open Champion Samantha Stosur 6-2, 6-2. Stosur was Sharapova's first loss of the tournament.
No. 1 ranked Caroline Wozniacki will face Vera Zvonareva
Here are the current standings:
1. Petra Kvitova (1-0 : 2-0)
2. Caroline Wozniacki (1-0 : 2-1)
3. Agnieszka Radwanska (0-1 : 1-2)
4. Vera Zvonareva (0-1 : 0-2)
1. Victoria Azarenka (1-0 : 2-0)
2. Li Na (1-0 : 2-0)
3. Samantha Stosur (1-1 : 2-2)
4. Maria Sharapova (0-2 : 0-4)