- Watched Hockey on "good old Channel 9' the first time around on a B/W TV
- Listened to '71 Game 7 Cup final on a transistor radio. I think my Dad was at a bar watching on closed circuit, so all I could do was give my disinterested mother updates. Kind of sad, but I blamed Tony for letting in a 'long goal".
- In the summer of '72, sitting in the front seat (dangerous middle "seat") of my best friend's Mom's car on the way to the Des Plaines Y to swim, heard on the radio that Bobby Hull signed with the Winnipeg Jets. Remember it like it was yesterday. Ten year olds don't get that shit.
- Bannerman, did it again. In the late 70s and 80s, loved those teams. Loved Savvy. Who didn't? Bought tickets out front to the games I went to. Half the fun was getting inside and seeing where we were sitting. Young, dumb, and mostly drunk.
- Got to the Stadium to see 2 games of the 11 game playoff winning streak of '92. Damn good team. Home playoff games were on Blackhawk Vision or some shit. Didn't buy game 4 of Cup final. Another radio game. Hawks lose. God I hated that Penguins team - they were really, really good. Including Barasso.
- Proud (stupid?) partial season ticket holder (yeah, partial - fuck you) during the dark years 1998 - 2003. Great seats, 111, row 19, right under Billy's double wide box...which was almost always dark. In five years, had some fun in a mostly empty building and wound up meeting my wife. Not all bad at $75 per ticket in those days.
- In 2004, in what had to be the franchise's darkest hour, was at a game where after another particularly uninspiring performance on a Sunday night in early January, an apparent long time fan, wearing an older Hawks jersey, late in the 3rd period walked down to the glass in Section 102/103, tossed his jersey on the ice, and just shook his head as he walked back up the stairs. It was clear - he was done with this team and the franchise.
- 6/10/2010 had to be the best day of my life. I know we won it on the 9th, but the days after were just unbelievable. The whole month actually. The fact the 10th is my birthday - even sweeter. Not a speck of work got done that day. Spent the whole day e-mailing and calling Hawks fans talking about the goal. "When did you know"? "Did you see it go in"? " I was standing in front of the TV just waiting for a replay"! Had tickets to Cubs/Sox on both 11th and 13th. Disappointed on the 11th when Cup didn't make it, but what a night on the 13th. Awesome.
- And the icing on the cake, a few weeks after my team wins the Cup, I discover a web site dedicated to said team filled with insightful writing and passionate fans who are funny, knowledgable and generally a good lot!
Jerry King Kong Korab - why the hell not. He was one scary dude when he came up with the Hawks. His fights were a lot like Fluffy's - beat downs, as in down. The guy was a freak of nature in those days.
|Commented on SCH INLINE HOCKEY CLUB Game Announcement: Sunday, 19 at 10 a.m. on May 16 2013, 5:32p|
|Recommended on May 9 2013, 10:02a|
|Recommended on May 4 2013, 3:28p|
|Recommended on May 4 2013, 3:27p|
|Recommended on May 4 2013, 3:12p|
|Joined on May 3 2013, 9:49a|
|Commented on SCH IHC Cinco De Mayo Game START TIME 10 AM on May 2 2013, 5:20p|
|Commented on SCH IHC: Game 4 Sunday April 28th 10 am on Apr 26 2013, 11:33a - 1 reply|
|Commented on SCH IHC: Game 4 Sunday April 28th 10 am on Apr 26 2013, 11:15a - 1 reply|
|Recommended on Apr 25 2013, 4:53p|
|Commented on SCH IHC: Game 3 Sunday, April 21st 10 am on Apr 22 2013, 9:50a - 1 reply|