Yes, in fact I am a Blackhawks Fan!
I have never rooted for a Chicago team before, ever. I despise the Bears and am not overly fond of the Cubs or the Bulls either. The White Sox don’t suck as bad as the rest but that doesn’t mean I root for them.
That being said, I was in school in ‘91 and I well remember the TV commentators saying how 95% of the country were behind the troops. I wonder if I wasn’t in school with the other 5% and I well remember being told not to wear my uniform on campus because of "safety concerns."
Seeing the video (link below) and reading that the way the anthem is done in Chicago has been going on since possibly 1985 and maybe sooner means a lot because I was called to active duty later in '91. While I was raised with the whole stand-face-the-flag-and-put-your-hand-over-your-heart way of honoring our national anthem; I hope how the anthem is presented at the UC is one tradition that never goes away.
This is the 1st year I’ve followed hockey at all since the Flames were in Atlanta and I think I just found a new team to root for. Go Hawks!
The story: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=388510
The blog: http://www.secondcityhockey.com/2009/3/17/801390/controversy-over-cheering
The Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB9YT3aOlgc