The 2012 college football season has been characterized by an abundance of suck. Some conferences have more suck than others but for the most part the landscape is littered with a lot of football suck. This week I rank the the major conferences by those with the least suck topping the rankings.
1) Big XII- The conference took a hit with Oklahoma dropping from the top 5 to #16 as they sucked against KSU who took the overrated Sooners spot in the top 10 coming in at #7 and the conference's highest ranked team. WVU held their spot in the top 10 at #9 and kinda sucked against a rebuilding Maryland squad whose uniforms sucked as usual. TCU beat a weak Virginia team and retained their top 25 rank at #15 but they kinda sucked again as they only scored in the 20's against a weak opponent for the second straight week. They also lost their top running back for the year. That sucks. Baylor almost sucked but pulled it out late against ULaMo but they haven't sucked at all this year so no harm there to Baylor's #25 ranking. Iowa St. has not sucked this year, YET, and neither have our Texas Tech Red Raiders as they are both 3-0. Tech is #1 in total defense and #2 in total offense...take a screen shot of that one. Xerox U. dropped a game to Arizona early and that sucks more now that Arizona got embarassed and shut out 49-0 by Oregon last weekend. Texas was idle but they suck just because they are Texas. Top to bottom (except Kansas) the Big XII has less suck than any other conference but that ranking may change now that the conference gets into the meat of the round robin schedule. Based on recent showings Oklahoma, TCU, Xerox U. and Baylor could very well fall into the ranks of suckdom.
2) SEC- There is little doubt about the strength of the ES EE SEE as they have an amazing 5 teams in the top 11...'Bama #1, LSU #3, Georgia #5, South Carolina #6 and Florida #11...BUT there is truly an amazing amount of suck in the SEC...led by Arky who is really sucking this year but actually rolled out a white helmet with a red razorback on it...man, did that EVER suck...in addition to Arkansas the SEC has serious suck in the names of Kentucky (lost to Western Kentucky and shut out by Florida), Ole Miss(66 points given up to Texas most in 95 years), Auburn(1-3), Mizzou (lost their first 2 SEC conference games of all time), Tennessee (because of their school color) and aggy. Aggy sucks for hanging 70 on South Carolina STATE at home. but they feel so good about themselves now but still not top 25. There is no middle class in the SEC.
3) Mid-America Conference (MAC)- the MAC is ranked #3 this week in the not sucking conference poll as Central Michigan beat Iowa (B1G), Western Michigan beat Connecticut (Big East), Ball St. defeated South Florida (Big East) and Northern Illinois defeated Kansas (Big XII)...in addition the other directional Michigan, Eastern Michigan, hung in with Michigan St. on the road losing only 23-7 to Sparty despite carrying an 0-3 record into the contest. Good job, MAC...you did not suck Saturday.
4) ACC- Believe it or not the ACC chimes in at #4 in the least suck conference rank. Despite the the heavys at the top in Florida St #4 and Clemson #17 after their spirited battle Saturday the rest of the conference is fairing quite well this season. Of the the 12 members only Boston College (1-2) has a losing record this season so far. There are six 3-1 teams in the conference including surprisingly enough, Duke, NC State, Wake Forest and Miami. The 3-1 Miami record is a surprise after watching them get their hat handed to them against Kansas St. I guess everyone is putting on their Sunday best knowing that Notre Dame will be in church next season. I will admit that the ACC kinda doesn't suck so far this season...but it's still early.
5) PAC 12- The cream is rising to the top of the PAC 12 but the suck is sinking fast. Aside from Oregon #2, Stanford #8, USC #13 and surprising Oregon St. #18, Arizona had a chance to join the club but got shut out at Oregon 49-0 and knocked out of the top 25. Shades of RichRod sucking at Michigan are swirling in my head. Cal sucks(1-3). Utah certainly sucks and we all know that Colorado is sucking hind tit bad but Wazzou has joined the rank of suck in the PAC 12 after losing to lowly Colorado by totally collapsing in the 4th. Leach decided to not kick a field goal late in that game to put the Coogs up by two scores and instead went for it on 4th down. That turned out to be a sucky call by the pirate as they didn't make it. Almost the same call he made against Houston for Tech a few years back. This loss to the Buffs could set the WSU program back a year or two in the rebuilding process and that really sucks, for Mike, but not Cougar Center...karma.
6) Mountain West- Blue Mountain St. beat their old conference mate, BYU, 7-6 on national tv...not only did that suck for both teams but I had to go to the eye doctor the next day after watching the gawdawful blue field all evening. MWC sucks all around except thatNew Mexico beat it's cross town rival New Mexico St.. Well, at least it helps Texas Tech's strength of schedule when they start handing out BCS bids. 5 of the 10 teams in the conference are 1 win teams and only Nevada and Blue Mountain State have winning records. BMS somehow stayed in the top 25 at #24 despite scoring only 7 points. There is no doubt that the MWC is the suckest of all conferences until you look at the B1G...
7) B1G- The Legendary Leaders of the college football world are completely irrelevant. 3 teams in the top 25 in Ohio St. #14(bowl ineligible), Michigan St. #20 and Nebraska #22...pitiful...Rex Burkhead is back so that bodes well for the corn holes from Nebraska but Michigan St. hung a whole 27 points on Eastern Michigan at home and Ohio St. had their hands full with the power from Alabama...no not the Crimson Tide but UAB, at home nonetheless. Michigan continues its slide into oblivion by losing to an improving Notre Dame squad but nobody is ready to include the Fighting Irish in any BCS championship talk yet but somehow they sneak in at #10. Central Michigan took down Iowa, Lousiana Tech (WAC) dismantled Illinois 52-10 and Wisconsin squeaked by UTEP (C-USA) 37-26. Minnesota, one of the conference's only remaining unbeatens slipped by a 1-3 Syracuse (Big East), 17-10...what part of suck does Jim Delany not understand?