Martin Rose - Bongarts/Getty Images
A crazed fan fan chocked a referee, bringing up the question -- why would anyone want to be a ref?
Fans often have issues with a referee, but actually hopping on the pitch and attacking one is exceptional, and scary. In a match between Chernomorets and Metalist, a crazed fan went after a referee and put two hands around his throat before being wrestled to the ground by police and stewards.
This brings up the question -- why would anybody want to be a referee?
Let's consider all the positives of being a referee:
- People choke you.
- Nobody from any team in either match ever likes you.
- Your wife probably doesn't even like you.
- Your father has cussed you out in his living room watching you work.
- The thing that gives you "power" is a puny whistle and two flimsy cards.
- It doesn't pay well enough that it qualifies as a full-time job.
- Without fail, you look stupid running around the field.
- You will probably go bald early.