Contrary to an earlier report, the Washington Redskins did not release Mike Williams on the first day of training camp; they instead placed him on the non-football injury list.
According to Ryan O’Halloran of CSN Washington, Williams met with Redskins coach Mike Shanahan on Thursday morning and told him he wants to continue his career and plans to remain in the Northern Virginia area.
The language of Williams’ release has not been finalized, but his departure leaves the roster at the maximum 80 players.
"Anytime you’re on the blood thinner, you can’t compete," Shanahan said after the Redskins opened training camp with a 70-minute workout. "Hopefully in six months, he’ll take a physical and be able to play."
Williams, 30, started eight games last year for the Redskins, but was in line to compete for a starting spot before getting sidelined by blood clots.