The Miami Hurricanes scandal has taken quite a few twists and turns in the days since the public was made aware of Nevin Shapiro and all of the issues that came with him. Fortunately for fans of the Hurricanes, however, it seems that the school will be able to avoid the "death penalty" and other serious consequences.
The NCAA's vice president for enforcement, Julie Roe Lach, spoke to the New York Times on Wednesday regarding possible penalties. Though she wasn't allowed to speak directly about Miami considering it is an open and active case, she did note that there has been little discussion regarding the most serious penalties possible.
"I have not heard it turn much to television bans or the death penalty," Lach told the Times. "The majority of the ideas or support I keep hearing relate toward suspensions or postseason bans being the most powerful."
The Times reports that the television ban hasn't been handed down to a major program in 15 years while the "death penalty" was last enforced with Southern Methodist University as ESPN's 30 for 30 documentary series highlighted earlier this year.
The reason the television ban isn't considered an option is that it would hurt all of the ACC schools that weren't involved in the Miami scandal.
"The problem with a television ban is that you penalize a conference of which they are a member, and you penalize all the schools that have contracts with them," David Swank, former chairman of the N.C.A.A. Committee on Infractions, told the Times.
So it seems, at worst, the Hurricanes will lose a bevy of scholarships and be subject to postseason bans. Considering the alternatives, that can probably be chalked up in the win column for the 'Canes.