When Golden Boy Promotions held a conference call with media on July 18 to announce that the massive fight between Danny Garcia and Lucas Matthysse would serve as the featured undercard bout for tomorrow's mega-fight between Floyd Mayweather and Canelo Alvarez, they threw out some big live gate numbers.
Richard Schaefer, Golden Boy CEO, announced on the call that the event had already set a new live gate record for Nevada and would be over $19.5 million.
Thursday it was announced by Schaefer that the new gate number was $20,300,150 with the MGM Grand (obviously) sold out.
That number only goes to show exactly how big this fight truly is. There's a buzz unlike anything since Oscar De La Hoya's bout with Floyd Mayweather, but Mayweather wasn't quite the superstar that Canelo is, which could lead to even bigger numbers on PPV as well as at the live gate.
Previous top Nevada gate records:
1. Floyd Mayweather vs. Oscar De La Hoya - $18,419,200
2. Lennox Lewis vs. Evander Holyfield II - $16,860,300
3. Manny Pacquiao vs. Oscar De La Hoya - $14,380,300
4. Evander Holyfield vs. Mike Tyson II - $14,277,200
5. Evander Holyfield vs. Mike Tyson I - $14,150,700