Why are the Falcons 4-2 and playing so well this season? I’m sure it probably has something to do with their league-best offense scoring an average of 33.2 points per game. But maybe it’s because they’ve cornered the market on NFL players named Matt.
Five players on the Falcons, four on the active roster and one on the practice squad, share the name Matt.
But there’s another cool coincidence here. They all have single-digit uniform numbers, which the folks at Reddit/r/nfl pointed out, and all of their quarterbacks are named Matt.
No. 2, Matt Ryan, QB
No. 3, Matt Bryant, K
No. 4, Matt Simms, QB (practice squad)
No. 5, Matt Bosher, P
No. 8, Matt Schaub, QB
Maybe the scouting department is on to something.
Other important Matt facts:
- Seven teams have two players named Matt or Matthew on their active roster, practice squad or IR.
- 12 teams have one player named Matt.
- There is only one player named Matt in the entire NFC West.
- Atlanta is the only team in the NFC South with a player named Matt.
- The NFC East and NFC North have five players name Matt in the division.
- Only one player named Matt has been drafted first overall: Matthew Stafford.
- Four players named Matt who are still in the NFL were first-round draft picks: Matt Ryan, Matthew Stafford, Matt Elam, and Matt Kalil.
- Two of those four players on injured reserve, Elam and Kalil.
Thank you for taking the time to read our hard-hitting data analysis.