You love hockey. You love SB Nation. You love reading hockey at SB Nation. Search your feelings. You know these things are true. But life's too busy to browse the whole network for news. So we'll send hockey news to your inbox every morning. All you need to do is subscribe.
Lace 'em up. Time for the Morning Skate.
* * *
THAT COULD'VE GONE BETTER
Post-trade player debuts are always exciting. It's like getting Christmas presents in July.
But sometimes they don't exactly turn out well. Just ask Dion Phaneuf. The veteran defenseman and former Toronto Maple Leafs captain made his debut with the Ottawa Senators last night after a nine-player trade on Tuesday. It, uh, did not go well.
Coincidentally, Senators fans are already wondering how the Phaneuf trade can go wrong for Ottawa.
WHAT HAPPENED LAST NIGHT:
- Ironically, the Penguins hosted the singer of their goal song last night and then scored zero goals.
- Their conquerors? The New York Rangers, who find themselves streaking after a rare road win.
- Don't let Henrik Lundqvist's shutout fool you; the Rangers didn't play a perfect game by any means last night.
- Martin Brodeur became immortalized in New Jersey on Tuesday during a fantastic ceremony that retired his jersey AND unveiled a statue in his honor.
- This is a crucial home stand for the Red Wings, and they're nailing it so far.
- For the first time in a while, the Coyotes played decent hockey! They lost anyway.
- Detroit could be in on Oilers defenseman Justin Schultz, and Winging It In Motown thinks that's a bad idea.
- The Kings dropped Christian Ehrhoff on waivers yesterday afternoon, and every fan thinks their team should claim him. Here at SBN, we fielded arguments for the Wild, the Bruins, the Sharks and the Red Wings.
- Andrew Ladd could be a good trade target for the Chicago Blackhawks.
- Dustin Byfuglien's new contract might impact how the Rangers decide to trade or keep Keith Yandle.
- The Phaneuf trade isn't something Flyers GM Ron Hextall would do, and Philly fans should be thankful.
- Matchsticks & Gasoline looks back at the original Phaneuf trade that sent him from Calgary to Toronto and wonders who won.
- Vancouver lost Alexander Edler and Brandon Sutter to lengthy injuries.
- Finally, Matt Bartkowski's mom is simply the best.