You love hockey. You love SB Nation. You love reading hockey at SB Nation. Search your feelings. You know these things are true. But life's too busy to browse the whole network for news. So we'll send hockey news to your inbox every morning. All you need to do is subscribe.
Lace 'em up. Time for the Morning Skate.
* * *
GRIN AND GHOST BEAR IT
Don't look now, but Shayne Gostisbehere is sneaking into the Calder Trophy race faster than you can spell his name. The Philadelphia Flyers defenseman affectionately referred to as "Ghost" extended his NHL record-setting rookie points streak to 13 games last night with a goal against the Devils.
It's been a remarkable run for Ghost. He's fifth in rookie scoring with 32 points in 38 games, which is more or less 20 fewer games than the rookie scoring leaders ahead of him. The last rookie defenseman to do that was Dallas Stars blue-liner John Klingberg, who finished with 40 points in 65 games. Gostisbehere is on pace to finish with more points than that, however, so expect at least a Calder nomination for the rookie sensation.
WHAT HAPPENED LAST NIGHT:
- Speaking of Klingberg, he and the Stars had a rough go of it in a weird game against the Blues that featured 12 power plays and only one power play goal.
- The Flyers and Devils got a little nasty with each other on Tuesday.
- In fact, you can probably expect a suspension for Radko Gudas after his ejection.
- With a loss against Carolina, the Jets' tank quest is still alive and well.
- Columbus put up a good fight, but not good enough to beat the Bruins.
- Jack Eichel was excellent again for Buffalo in a loss to the Senators.
- Jumbo Joe came to the Sharks' rescue in a big win over the Tampa Bay Lightning.
- Friendly reminder: You can keep track of every important rumor here. You're welcome.
- The Sharks are prioritizing figuring out Patrick Marleau's future and the blueline at the deadline.
- The Coyotes are reportedly ready to move on from Mikkel Boedker. Could the Blackhawks be a good fit?
- Maybe Boston should consider trading Zdeno Chara.
- One Devils rookie made the most dramatic, amazing dive you'll ever see.
- NBCSN can't tell the difference between Jamie and Jordie Benn.
- This is the most dedicated Anaheim Ducks fan you'll ever see.
- Columbus has a lot of impending free agents to think about in the coming months.
- One of the bigger free agent questions facing the Senators is that of Cody Ceci.
- Connor McDavid and Jordan Eberle are clicking as linemates, but is it enough to get Eberle to 30 goals?
- Finally, Tomas Hertl has mastered the art of using his "big ass" on zone entries. Really.