You love hockey. You love SB Nation. You love reading hockey at SB Nation. Search your feelings. You know these things are true. But life's too busy to browse the whole network for news. So, we'll send hockey news to your inbox every morning. All you need to do is subscribe.
Lace 'em up. Time for the Morning Skate.
* * *
I AM SO SORRY
Yesterday I told you to expect the unexpected on NHL trade deadline day. I told you it might not be as slow as you expected it to be. I got your hopes up.
I was wrong. Only 20 trades went down on Monday. Sure, that's only three less than last year's deadline bonanza. But I promised you surprise! Excitement! Drama! Hot takes!
Nope. Four hours passed on deadline day where the only trade to talk about was Sergei Plotnikov. You've probably never heard of him. For all you know, I just made that name up.
But at least the deadline rewarded patience, right? After all, a majority of the trades rolled in after the deadline had passed. Even then, the most notable of those trades involved Lee Stempniak. Maybe I made his name up, too.
It might've been the worst trade deadline ever. I am sorry I failed you.
EVERY TRADE, IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER (All times ET)
8:32 a.m.: Penguins trade Sergei Plotnikov to the Coyotes for a prospect.
8:34 a.m. - 9 a.m.: Nothing happens.
9:23 a.m. - 10 a.m.: Everyone goes back to sleep.
10:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.: Refreshing Twitter finally gets too boring.
11:31 a.m. - 12 p.m.: The Earth spins slowly on its axis, continuing its eternal cycle around the sun, just a tiny speck of cosmic dust floating in the swirling churn of the universe.
12:05 p.m.: The Blackhawks trade Some Guy to the Hurricanes for Some Guy.
12:18 p.m.: The first big trade! Mikkel Boedker went to the Avalanche.
12:45 p.m.: Dallas overpays for Calgary defenseman Kris Russell.
12:54 p.m.: Colorado makes another trade.
1 p.m. - 5 p.m.: Other stuff happened.
Yep. That's ... that's about it.
WHAT FANS THINK ABOUT THE BIG TRADES
- The Coyotes clearly didn't think keeping Mikkel Boedker was worth the price.
- Stars fans are split about what they gave up for Russell.
- Flames fans, however, are ecstatic.
- Why didn't the Panthers get a bigger haul for Brandon Pirri?
- Don Sweeney wants the Bruins to contend this year.
Get the biggest NHL news, rumors and analysis in your inbox every morning!
- Here's every deadline trade in one fancy graphic!
- We broke down the winners and losers of the trade deadline.
- Some big names didn't get traded. Here's why.
- The Bruins want a mulligan on the Dougie Hamilton trade.
- Finally, we made a deadline day bingo card!