You love hockey. You love SB Nation. You love reading hockey at SB Nation. Search your feelings. You know these things are true. But life's too busy to browse the whole network for news. So, we'll send hockey news to your inbox every morning. All you need to do is subscribe.
Lace 'em up. Time for the Morning Skate.
* * *
HERE ARE SOME THINGS YOU OVERRATE
Remember the first few NHL seasons with P.K. Subban in the league? It wasn't smooth sailing.
I still remember the outcries after Subban fought Brenden Morrow just three years ago and made a lewd gesture at him in the penalty box. (Note: I called it a noogie gesture in that post. In hindsight, it clearly wasn't. I was young and naive.) When he broke onto the scene (and even a few years after he established himself) he had people claiming he didn't respect the game. He was too flashy, right?
Clearly public opinion has changed (and rightfully so). Subban has won us all over with his charms and good nature on and off the ice. Maybe I shouldn't have been surprised by the overwhelming concerned reaction to his scary injury on Thursday. After all, any player who goes through something that painful and gut-wrenching will soften the hearts of even his fiercest detractors. But scan Twitter for Subban's well-wishers this morning and you'll find a plethora of comments about how he's "great for the game" or "one of the best things about hockey" or "I hate the Habs but I love Subban".
Perhaps I'm just cynical about fans in general, but I honestly don't think those kind of sentiments would've flowed a few years ago. Subban won over a lot of people immediately, but he had to earn that respect and adoration from many more (whether their disdain was irrational or not). Few players in pro sports can get injured and cause a collective gasp from every fanbase. Subban did so last night, and it's further proof he's become the heart and soul of the NHL for many.
WHAT HAPPENED LAST NIGHT
- By all accounts it sounds like Subban is going to be okay, even though he was held in the hospital for observation. It's certainly another blow the Habs (and Subban) didn't need this year.
- Don't look now, but the Hurricanes are starting to make moves in the Eastern Conference playoff race.
- The Red Wings won, but you'll be hard-pressed to find one of their fans happy with their performance.
- The two oldest players on the Panthers demolished the Senators on Thursday.
- Surprise! Connor McDavid had another ridiculous night.
- The Devils slunk into San Jose and strutted out with a big shutout win.
- P.K. Subban's injury really casts a pall over the league.
- Barack Obama keeps trolling Canada about hockey and it's the best.
- David Pastrnak scored the most majestic goal.
- Here are 18 venues to Make The Winter Classic Great Again.
- The NHL suspended Oilers defenseman Darnell Nurse for three games ...
- ... and then did the same to Colorado's Gabriel Landeskog.
- The Wild's penalty killing is broken.
- Brent Burns has finally reunited with Lady Luck. She loves the beard.