You love hockey. You love SB Nation. You love reading hockey at SB Nation. Search your feelings. You know these things are true. But life's too busy to browse the whole network for news. So, we'll send hockey news to your inbox every morning. All you need to do is subscribe.
Lace 'em up. Time for the Morning Skate.
* * *
VERY GOOD PLAYER DOING VERY BAD THINGS
So last night Duncan Keith swung his stick at an opponent's face. I don't think I'm being glib there; that's literally what he did.
If that sentence strikes you as familiar somehow, it should. Keith is undoubtedly one of the best players in the NHL and the backbone of the Blackhawks' three Stanley Cups in the last six years. But he's also one of the more under-the-radar dirty players in the league.
Personally, I felt like I knew this already but had a hard time pointing out specific instances of Keith crossing the line. Luckily an intrepid Twitter user compiled his "greatest hits" for us to browse through. In no specific order:
- There was that time he concussed Daniel Sedin for no good reason and earned a five-game suspension.
- He once swung his stick at Jeff Carter's face, too.
- There was this hit on Jamie Benn, where it sure looked like he launched directly at his head.
- He riled up Matt Cooke with a suspiciously high hit.
- And even Don Cherry called him out in 2014 for trying to slash every Blues player on the ice.
AND NOW, A TEASE
In case you missed it, the unsealed emails from the NHL's concussion lawsuit dripped out onto the Internet last night. Stay tuned to SBN today as we sift through all 300 of them for you and bring you the highlights! (Spoiler: They are juicy as heck.)
WHAT HAPPENED LAST NIGHT
- Okay, onto sports ball! Lots of good things happened for the Flyers last night. The first was Boston falling to the Devils.
- The second was the Red Wings blowing a golden opportunity against the Canadiens. Again. Seriously, they keep doing this.
- The Islanders had a good night, earning a huge two points in a comeback win over the Hurricanes.
- And they needed them, too. They're chasing the Penguins, who stunned the Sabres in a 5-4 comeback win of their own.
- Nazem Kadri had a hat trick for the Leafs. I'm going to be very mad if the Oilers win the first overall pick just because the Leafs brought up their super rookies and started winning.
- You can probably kiss the Avs' playoff hopes goodbye. Soon after the Wild beat the Blackhawks, the Avalanche fell in St. Louis and sit five points back of Minny and the playoffs.
- You know, I'm starting to think the Stars and Predators don't like each other.
- That said, James Neal looked very happy to get thrown into the Stars bench.
- Canadiens fans turned on one of their players after he passed in front of an open net.
- Just days after spurning the Predators, it looks like Jimmy Vesey is going to be a Bruin.
- The biggest thing to watch on Thursday: Eric Staal returns to Carolina.
- Finally, last night was all about incivility.