Listen, we know it’s tough to catch up on everything happening in the baseball world each morning. There are all kinds of stories, rumors, game coverage and Vines of dudes getting hit in the beans every day. Trying to find all of it while on your way to work or sitting at your desk just isn’t easy. It’s okay, though, we’re going to do the heavy lifting for you each morning, and find the things you need to see from within the SB Nation baseball network, as well as from elsewhere. Please hold your applause until the end, or at least until after you subscribe to the newsletter.
* * *
We’ve reached the Championship rounds of this year’s Little League World Series, and both the United States title game and the International title games are rematches. South Korea will be taking on Panama in the international tilt, while Tennessee and New York will get together again with a trip to the World Series Championship Game on the line in their rematch.
Tennessee is currently 4-1 in the tournament so far, and the one loss came to the same New York team that they’ll be facing today. That loss actually came on Monday, and it was all New York in that one. The team from nearby Maine-Endwell had a huge crowd backing them in that one, and they also dominated that game for the most part. They had a shutout going until the ninth inning, which is when Tennessee finally got on the scoreboard. It wasn’t enough to overcome the deficit, and New York won 3-1.
Now they’ll square off in the rematch, though there’s considerably more on the line now than earlier this week. This time, the winner will have the distinction of being known as the best team in the United States. Again, the Mid-Atlantic Champions are going to have a big-time home advantage for this game, and if they can pull off a repeat performance of what happened on Monday, then they’ll be representing the U.S. in the World Series title game and they’ll have an even bigger home advantage for that game as well. We’ll see what happens at 3:30 PM ET today.
- Meanwhile in the big leagues, it’s happened again — a team lost a game via walk-off wild pitch.
- Cleveland broke out of their losing streak in an emphatic manner as they beat the Rangers by 11 runs.
- The Yankees bopped the Orioles on Friday night, as Gary Sanchez kept the amazing start to his career rolling.
- Dioner Navarro is back in Toronto after getting traded from the White Sox for a mid-level prospect.
- While the September roster expansion may be coming up soon, Lookout Landing believes that they should actually use this time to DFA Adam Lind.
- Jordy Mercer picked a great time to hit his first career Grand Slam, as the massive dinger catapulted Pittsburgh to a win over Milwaukee.
- The Tigers have been playing some good baseball since the break, and unsurprisingly, this has coincided with a resurgence from Miguel Cabrera.
- Chase Utley has been flashing the leather a lot recently, and he was at it again on Friday night.
- Unfortunately for the Dodgers, they couldn’t stop Kris Bryant from being the hero for the Cubs in extra innings.
- Evan Gattis is a strong man, and this walk-off dinger of a ball that was at his eyes is proof of that.