You love hockey. You love SB Nation. You love reading hockey at SB Nation. Search your feelings. You know these things are true. But life's too busy to browse the whole network for news. So, we'll send hockey news to your inbox every morning. All you need to do is subscribe.
Lace 'em up. Time for the Morning Skate.
GOTTA HEAR BOTH SIDES
After a summer full of legal issues, Evander Kane faced the media yesterday in Buffalo. It did not go well. Remember, Kane faces numerous charges for trespassing, disorderly conduct, and harassment stemming from an incident at a Buffalo bar this summer. Notably, Kane shrugged off responsibility (emphasis mine):
Now, maybe I’m reading this wrong, but that doesn’t sound like contrition to me. It doesn’t sound like an athlete recognizing his status as public figure should make him set an example for responsibility. It sounds like an athlete upset his status as public figure doesn’t let him get away with things.
WORLD CUP GOOD FUN TIMES
- Well, not for USA Hockey, who finished the tournament without a win. Womp, womp.
- So, the final group standings look like this:
*Advanced to semi-finals
- Hey, so training camp is here. Jacob Trouba remains unsigned in Winnipeg, and that has Jets fans quite worried.
- Some of the stories out of the Penguins camp should be fun to watch.
- More than a few players across the league aren’t healthy enough to start training camp. One of them is Mikhail Grabovski in Brooklyn.
- The Snider family no longer owns the Flyers.
- The Rangers say they think they’ll be better this year even though they didn’t really fix anything.
- A veteran defenseman is parting ways with the NHL this year.
- Expect big things from Jordan Eberle.
- Five Leafs have something to prove in camp.
- Our Ducks blog is looking for contributors!
- So is our Red Wings blog!
- And our Devils blog!
- And our Flyers blog!
- And our Sharks blog!
HOCKEY GODS SMITE BIG D
Nobody wants the World Cup to end more than Stars fans. Here’s what happened to Stars at the World Cup: Tyler Seguin fractured his heel. Ryan Getzlaf concussed Radek Faksa. And now Ales Hemsky left with an injury in the Czech Republic’s final game. Throw in Valeri Nichushkin’s exodus to Russia and Jamie Benn’s injury and that much-vaunted about forward group in Dallas is taking a beating before preseason even starts
"HEY, THE SEASON IS AROUND THE CORNER" CORNER
A BIT OF HOUSEKEEPING