clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Gareon Conley accused of sexual assault days before NFL draft

The alleged assault took place at a hotel in Cleveland.

NFL: Combine Trevor Ruszkowski-USA TODAY Sports

Just days before the NFL draft, Ohio State cornerback Gareon Conley was accused of sexual assault. The alleged assault took place at a hotel in Cleveland, as first reported by Dan DeRoos of Cleveland 19. The Oakland Raiders drafted Conley with the 24th pick in the first round on Thursday night.

According to the police report obtained by Land-Grant Holy Land, police responded to a call at the Westin in downtown Cleveland to investigate an alleged sexual assault in a hotel suite bathroom on Sunday, April 9. Police arrived on the scene after 3 a.m. ET and spoke to two people who identified themselves as associates of Conley. Conley had already left the hotel when law enforcement arrived.

The woman went to a local hospital for evaluation, and declined to speak to police afterward. An attorney representing the alleged victim, Patrick Thomas, spoke to Cleveland.com on her behalf.

“As you can imagine, any victim, any woman that has to endure a sexual assault, so it's been a very difficult few weeks at this point,” Thomas said. “It has been even more difficult with the media coverage.”

Conley released a statement about the allegations.

"I pride myself on doing things the right way on and off the field," Conley said. "The things being said about me and what happened that night are not true and don't fit my character at all.

“I realize that I put myself in the situation and I could have used better judgment. However, I have worked tirelessly to put myself in position to have the honor of being an NFL draft pick and these untrue allegations are putting a huge cloud over my name and the NFL Draft."

Conley’s attorney, Kevin Spellacy, confirmed to Cleveland.com that Conley will be interviewed by police on Monday. Conley will also provide a DNA sample to law enforcement.

Conley and the alleged victim were reportedly part of a group at the Barley House, and they went to the Westin for a hotel room party. According to Spellacy, his client was never alone with the alleged victim and three witnesses said Conley did not do anything wrong.

Spellacy did discuss scheduling an interview for his client with law enforcement, but wants to wait until after the draft. Conley is projected by some experts as a first-round pick.

NFL teams have reached out to Conley to discuss the allegations, which he continues to deny.

Conley has not been charged with a crime at this point. The Cleveland Police Department confirmed to Land-Grant Holy Land that this is an ongoing investigation. NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported later Tuesday afternoon that Conley would not attend the NFL draft in Philadelphia.