We came pretty close to having the champions in college sports' four most popular competitions all come from the same state, with South Carolina making the men's Final Four and winning the women's. But North Carolina's redemption thriller over Gonzaga still means all of Cook Out country* is walking tall.
In football, Clemson won a similar redemption thriller over Alabama in the 2016 season's Playoff**, and in baseball, Coastal Carolina is the reigning College World Series champ (watch Clemson players celebrating that at the time), until June at least.
North Carolina has long been known as a home to basketball powers (only California equals its 13 all-time men's titles), Clemson's had previous spurts of football greatness, and the Palmetto State's been a steady CWS participant. But the Gamecocks' sudden emergence as a basketball school, via Dawn Staley and Frank Martin, has really rounded things out nicely.
A Cheerwine salute to you all, and today, we wave our shirts around our heads like helicopters for Carolina sports as a whole.
* Except for fans of Appalachian State, Charleston, Charleston Southern, Charlotte, The Citadel, Duke, East Carolina, Elon, Furman, Gardner-Webb, High Point, NC Central, NC State, North Carolina A&T, Presbyterian, South Carolina State, South Carolina Upstate, UNC-Asheville, UNC-Greensboro, UNC-Wilmington, Wake Forest, Western Carolina, Winthrop, and Wofford. Especially Duke.
** The College Football Playoff isn’t technically run by the NCAA, but the NCAA recognizes its champ.
More college football
- Ohio State's quest to score points in a football game includes Kevin Wilson bringing over more than just tempo.
- Here's a fun interview profile on Dino Babers at Syracuse!
- Breaking into LSU's stadium has become a trend, and now we wait to see if anybody will top the ATV one.
- Presenting the NFL draft's All-Name Team, captained by Jake Butt.
- Please watch this 330-pound LSU recruit run a relay.
- Bill C team of the day: Fresno State, where ... hey, it's Jeff Tedford!
- Bill wrapped up the MAC with PPPPPPPPPPPPPPOWER RANKINGS, topped by Toledo, as is custom.
- Here's Deshaun Watson leaving a Tuscaloosa bar under duress; the bar denies it booted him.
- Behold: A Rutgers game someone might actually care about!
- QB recruit says he's both 110 percent committed to Ohio State and visiting three other schools, which all makes sense in Recruiting World.
- I regret to inform you Brian Kelly is at it again.
- I even more deeply regret to inform you the post-Bitcoin Bowl no longer has turf that looks like a tarp that was crumpled up in a pool all summer.
- Nick Saban even follows The Process at Chick-fil-A.