The Buffalo Bills traded up on Thursday night to draft Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen with the No. 7 overall pick. Allen was long believed to possibly be the No. 1 overall pick, and as he began falling, the Bills swooped in to pick him up.
After the selection, Bills general manager Brandon Beane addressed Allen’s character after racist tweets from the past surfaced hours before the draft:
#Bills GM Brandon Beane: We can't find one negative thing anybody had to say about [Josh Allen] today— Joe Buscaglia (@JoeBuscaglia) April 27, 2018
A lot of people reacting to this, my mistake if it was misconstrued. This was in regards to the people they talked to about Josh after all of the news on the tweets came down.— Joe Buscaglia (@JoeBuscaglia) April 27, 2018
On the surface, it’s easy to see why there would be reaction to Buscaglia’s first tweet. Allen has been one of the most polarizing draftees in recent memory, especially for somebody who was expected at one point to be the No. 1 overall pick.
“We don’t condone anything,” Beane said, per WGR 550’s Sal Capaccio. “We did our due diligence, spoke to him and his coach again ... he’s going to come in here and own it and has to earn the trust of the fans or organization.”
Now, if he had been looking for negative things people had to say about Allen in general...
- “A handful of tweets from 2012 and 2013, when Allen was a high school student, contained racist language.”
- “Like Darnold, Josh Allen was only a two-year starter in college. But Allen’s statistics are horrifying compared to Darnold’s.”
- “Josh Allen was hyped for a full year before the 2018 NFL Draft as a potential No. 1 pick, and he went No. 7 to the Bills, all to the bafflement of pretty much everyone not employed by the league.”
- “There are also plenty of reasons not to draft Allen in the first two rounds or so, including his completely mediocre stats and his alarming number of not-so-nice throws.”
- “Josh Allen is a car bought by someone who does not buy cars often.”
- “Josh Allen is a C student with two excellent test scores.” (LMAOOOOOOOOO)
- “Josh Allen is Jamarcus Russell.”
- “If we bypass Darnold, Mayfield, and *gulp* even Rosen for an oft-injured *worse* Derek Anderson clone, we are the dumbest franchise in sports.”
- “Well, if you ask him, he’s more like Aaron Rodgers. Sure, guy. That’s like the intramural hoops all-star who thinks he can take on Collin Sexton.”
- “May have too much hero in his blood”
Josh Allen is going to be a top-15 pick despite a bunch of racist tweets *and* being a completely mediocre college quarterback. The NFL is a special place— Alex Kirshner (@alex_kirshner) April 26, 2018
Top 5 draft team front office source to me on QB Josh Allen's tweets: "That's not going to be good. You can't go into a locker room w/ black players & that be cool with all of them. All it takes is one person taking it the wrong way...Different if he was already established."— Josina Anderson (@JosinaAnderson) April 26, 2018
Go look at Locker’s scouting reports coming out of UW. You could replace his name with Josh Allen and you wouldn’t know the difference.— Geoff Schwartz (@geoffschwartz) April 5, 2018
Josh Allen had multiple NFL-caliber players surrounding him in 2016 and he ranked 101st out of 133 qualifiers in adjusted completion percentage#NFLDraft— Steve Palazzolo (@PFF_Steve) April 15, 2018
Worst final FBS season off-target rates among top QB prospects last 3 years:— Mike Clay (@MikeClayNFL) February 4, 2018
Josh Allen 16.3%
DeShone Kizer 14.5%
Jeff Driskel 14.4%
Connor Cook 13.5%
C Hackenberg 13.4%
NFL passer rating on deep passes in 2017:— Sam Monson (@PFF_Sam) April 12, 2018
Human Howitzer All-World Arm Josh Allen: 84.6 (31.0% complete), 37th in the draft class@bakermayfield : 134.8 (56.7% complete), 13 TDs, 1 INT, led the draft class.
Oh, Mayfield had more passes dropped too. #ArmTalent.
So the latest I heard in terms of making things up to make the narrative work is: Josh Allen's receivers dropped a lot of balls.— Neil Hornsby (@PFF_Neil) January 23, 2018
Here's the draft class ranked by drop rate: pic.twitter.com/fqe1fXK3Ls
Baker Mayfield and Josh Allen ... I mean, maybe it’s a small target ♀️ pic.twitter.com/pbVldFeDkh— Nicki Jhabvala (@NickiJhabvala) January 24, 2018