Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp announcer Roger Hoover was having a normal game, calling the action on the field, when a baseball ruined his week and destroyed his computer.
Lucky for us, his job was to describe the devastation, and the mic was hot. Please give this a listen, because it is absolutely perfect:
My favorite parts, in chronological order:
- Hoover’s voice sounding immediately distant as he avoids being murdered
- The obvious disgust in the words “off my computer”
- The professionalism that allows him to say “Oh, my goodness” instead of what he was actually thinking
- The dead air as his life crumbles around him
- The laughter. The helpless, helpless laughter
- “And this just became one of the worst days I’ve had in quite some time.”
It’s a masterpiece of found art, and I can’t recommend it enough. Hoover’s computer was ruined, but our internet enjoyment was increased by .001 percent for several seconds. Was it not worth it?
In conclusion, Apple should just give him a new computer because they can afford to. Somebody gimme the right email address.