A 9-4 week brings my season record to 85-70 (55 percent, +$1045). 55 percent is the goal and the line at which a nice profit is made.
College football's Week 10 is quite boring as far as big games are concerned. There are only three games pitting ranked teams. But there are still opportunities for good picks.
After all, a bet on a bad team pays the same as a bet on a good team. As usual, I'll discuss the games involving ranked teams. For thoughts on any other game, head to the comments section.
- I think Arizona State is a very good football team. At this point, we can call the offense elite. And the defense plays very well with a lead, which I think it will have playing at Washington State.
- Northern Illinois is a good team, but not a great team. It is not one of the best 40 teams in the country, and I think the ranking next to its name inflates its lines a bit.
- I like South Carolina, but Mississippi State is a team built somewhat similarly to Tennessee. The Bulldogs are strong on the lines and lacking in skill position players. Could South Carolina have a hangover with the early start time?
- Michigan is a poorly coached football team. Michigan State's defense is awesome and playing at home, and its offense is improving.
- Virginia is actually somewhat underrated thanks to losses in close games. Clemson's offense continues to be overrated, while its defense is a bit underrated. Because of that, I like the underdog and the under here.
- Arkansas had a bye week to prepare for a good Auburn team that at this point is probably a bit overrated. Teams can run the ball against the Tigers, and I look for Arkansas to control the pace and keep the game close.
- Oklahoma State's defense is underrated, and Texas Tech's offense is not as good as people think. I look for this game to be played in the 50s and not the 60s.
* Pick made before Wednesday's FAU news.