Donald Trump's first proposed United States government budget included a suggestion to eliminate the Legal Services Corporation, a public nonprofit that helps lower-income people afford attorneys.
On-brand, but not really much of a sports thing, until Jim Harbaugh tweeted:
I hope reports that White House trying to defund Legal Services Corp aren't true. LSC is CRUCIAL to making justice system fair. #LSCmatters— Coach Harbaugh (@CoachJim4UM) February 28, 2017
I'm an American first and all Americans should care about justice. The idea, as you learn about our legal system, [is] the danger of not being able to have access to justice. From what I can see it's that, if you have money you have access to justice. If you don't, it's becoming increasingly less and less access for low-income Americans and that's the crux of it. I mean, to have a society that has liberty and justice for all, it's right there in the constitution. And LSC is the largest funder of civil legal aid in our nation.
Harbaugh stressed that he's taking this stand as an American citizen, not as a public university's most visible representative. "This is a bipartisan issue," he says twice. At times in the past, he's demonstrated support for political figures as diverse as Barack Obama, Darth Vader, James Earl Jones (the voice of Darth Vader), and Trump himself. He’s also awkwardly weighed in on the protest by Colin Kaepernick, his former QB.
Harbaugh: I'm not saying this as a football coach, I'm saying this as an American. I'm for America first.
Politico: Well that's a Trump slogan right now—America First.
Harbaugh: I wasn't aware of that.
Politico: Yeah, he likes saying that.
Harbaugh responded to that by quoting James Madison; reeling off a quote from an old piece of writing is on-brand for him, so everyone is on-brand all around.
More college football
- Who'll be the first coach to get ejected under the NCAA's new rule? We fantasy-drafted a list of 22 candidates.
- Ex-LSU QB Brandon Harris says he's transferring to North Carolina, not Arizona or Texas.
- Deshaun Watson on not winning the Heisman: guess I should've just lost more games!
- The NCAA's given the state of North Carolina a Bathroom Bill ultimatum.
- These good and chill Notre Dame fans are arguing that their people should embrace being college football's bad guy and welcome 4-8 jokes.
- Congrats to Steve Spurrier, whose beloved Gamecocks are in the Final Four at the expense of his beloved Gators; condolences to Steve Spurrier.
- The surprise matchup between two SEC teams in the Elite Eight gave us Verne Lundquist getting to drop an SEC on CBS reference outta nowhere.
- Bill C team of the day: Ball State, the MAC's MAC-iest team.
- The weekend's two four-star commits: to Notre Dame and Oklahoma.
- Why Mike Williams is almost everything an NFL team could want in a first-round WR.
- Yeah, Aaron Rodgers roots for Wisconsin despite going to Cal, but there's a little more to it than that.
- A real thing that happened: a Trump advisor used a Rivals.com West Virginia message board thread to argue against the likelihood of Russian collusion.