Well, they’re doing a College Football Playoff again. The fourth year of this exercise sees the committee add its biggest-name football figure yet, if you don’t count former member Condoleezza Rice, who’s just a little bit better known for her non-football activities. Former Virginia Tech head coach Frank Beamer is aboard.
Here’s the updated list of committee members, including which teams they must recuse themselves from ranking.
Recusals are in bold. The committee doesn’t force members out of the room for every personal tie to a particular university, typically only those that involve payment to the committee member or a close relative.
- Chairperson Kirby Hocutt, Texas Tech AD
- Frank Beamer, former Virginia Tech head coach (also recused from Georgia discussion; son is on coaching staff)
- Jeff Bower, former Southern Miss head coach
- Herb Deromedi, former Central Michigan AD
- Chris Howard, Robert Morris University president
- Tom Jernstedt, former NCAA executive
- Bobby Johnson, former Vanderbilt coach
- Jeff Long, Arkansas AD (also recused from Missouri discussion; daughter works in Mizzou athletic department)
- Rob Mullens, Oregon AD
- Dan Radakovich, Clemson AD
- Gene Smith, Ohio State AD
- Steve Wieberg, former reporter
- Tyrone Willingham, former head coach (recused from discussing Stanford and Duke; son is Stanford coaching staff, and daughter works in Duke athletic department)
Based on the preseason odds, the likeliest teams to require a member to step out of the room with a Playoff spot on the line will be Ohio State, Georgia, and Clemson.
No longer on the committee are:
- Barry Alvarez - 2014, 2015, 2016
- Mike Gould - 2014, 2015
- Pat Haden - 2014
- Oliver Luck - 2014
- Tom Osborne - 2014, 2015
- Condoleezza Rice - 2014, 2015, 2016
- Michael Tranghese - 2014, 2015