Maryland sophomore quarterback Kasim Hill is out for the rest of the 2018 season with a torn ACL, the second in his two years on campus.
Matt Canada confirms that Kasim Hill tore his left ACL and is out for the year. He tore his right ACL last season.— Emily Giambalvo (@EmilyGiam) November 13, 2018
Let’s briefly recount the last six years of Maryland QB situations:
- Starter Danny O’Brien transferred before the season
- New starter C.J. Brown tore an ACL in fall camp
- Second-stringer Perry Hills tore an ACL in the seventh game
- Third-stringer Devin Burns hurt his foot in the seventh game
- Fourth-stringer Caleb Rowe tore an ACL in the eighth game
- A true freshman linebacker named Shawn Petty started the last four games. Maryland went 0-4 in those games, though Petty played better than some actual Maryland QBs.
2013 and 2014
Brown played the whole season. It didn’t go well, but at least he was healthy.
A combination of injuries and poor play required Maryland to use four quarterbacks, including one who’d later be moved to fullback and then linebacker.
Maryland QBs threw 29 interceptions — the most in the modern era for which we’ve got stats, and possibly the most ever in a college football season by one team.
Starter Hills left several games with injuries, throwing seven or fewer passes three times and missing one game. Backups Rowe and Pigrome dealt with injuries, too. Maryland had to start its fourth-stringer, freshman Bortenschlager, at Nebraska in November. That went as you’d expect, with Maryland losing 28-7.
- Starting QB Tyrrell Pigrome tore an ACL in Week 1.
- Backup QB Hill tore an ACL in Week 3.
- Other backup QB Caleb Henderson was never healthy enough to play, due to various ailments, and ended his career earlier.
- De-facto fourth-stringer Max Bortenschlager got more snaps than anyone else.
- Walk-on Ryan Brand started a game against Michigan. You can guess how it went.
Maryland got through nine games before losing Hill, its starter, to a tear of the ACL he didn’t tear the year before. His backup will start the last two games.