1. Arizona State’s mascot is Sparky the Sun Devil. Just look at him!
2. Sparky used to also be the Sun Devils’ primary logo. Just look at him!
3. A few years back, Arizona ditched Sparky as the primary logo and made a version of his pitchfork the main logo instead. Ugh.
4. At an odd introductory press conference in December, new football coach Herm Edwards seemed to not know the Sun Devil was ASU’s mascot.
Anyone want to tell him? pic.twitter.com/ugrpCVNBY6— FootballScoop Staff (@FootballScoop) December 4, 2017
A reporter identified his affiliation with a website called “Devils Digest.” Edwards responded that he was Catholic and warned the reporter to “watch out for them devils.”
5. Edwards says now he was just kidding around.
“I was messing with the guy. I was being funny. That’s how I am. I like to have fun. I think people that knew me just go, ‘Oh, there’s coach, he’s having fun.’”
6. But Edwards does prefer the Sparky logo to the pitchfork.
Also from Schroeder’s story:
Edwards says the only thing that threw him, just a little, was to learn Arizona State’s primary logo is no longer Sparky the Sun Devil, but instead a pitchfork (which he says “looks like a candle”). Sparky, he says, “is the best one! I mean, c’mon!”
Let’s have a look:
I’m not saying. I’m just saying.