ESPN’s Marty Smith took a trip to Ann Arbor ahead of the season to visit with Harbaugh and the Wolverines. During his visit, he posted a photo of motivational quotes that the coach has in his office, and there are some gems:
It’s a little hard to read all of them, but I’m ranking some of the best ones based on how reflective they are of the Harbaugh mindset (all-caps decisions were my own):
- “FAT IS THE ENEMY OF SPEED.”
- “Got where I am by rolling up my sleeves, delegating nothing, and taking everything personally.” I’d like to think delegating is at least one requirement of coaching, but maybe not!
- “Lead like Truman don’t tap dance like Fred Astaire!”
- “IF YOU ARE BORED YOU ARE BORING.”
- “AIN’T HARD BEING A FOOTBALL PLAYER IF YOU ARE A ‘FOOTBALL PLAYER.’” What?
- “Preaching to the choir is for the showboats and the soft.”
- “Transform your fear into anger...solve your problems with aggression.” This sounds ... not healthy?
- “I’ve been known to come through on occasion.” On occasion doesn’t exactly sound like a coach that wins 10 games a year, but oh well!
- “ADDITION BY SUBTRACTION.” I’m an Office nerd, so I immediately thought of Andy Bernard with this one:
10. “Do you usually get what you are asking for? Do any of us?”
11. “I shouldn’t have to pester or harass you to help you.”
12. “You are over the legal limit for what ifs.” This one is actually pretty good, tbh.
I’m not sure how many college football coaches have quotes this amusing posted around their office, but hopefully Harbaugh can add some more to the board during this season.