While it does not have a large influence in the U.S., and it's not exactly on the technological edge, the European Tour has been successful at creating and pushing gimmick videos viral this season. The most notable shoot was the Rory McIlroy vs. Jeff the Robot ad they put out at the end of June, and now they've added another one with some of their bigger stars in a ridiculous Dubai setting.
Lee Westwood, Martin Kaymer, and Henrik Stenson were a few of the Euro stars who ripped irons from a mat on the 22nd floor of the Atlantis Hotel in Dubai. The silly season of golf usually provides these kinds of promo activities, especially when any events swing through the Middle East (last week it was Tiger in Turkey hitting a ball across two continents). This is the kind of setting and all-out attempt at promotion you might expect in Dubai, with a floating green set up in the middle of the water:
It's unsurprising to see Westwood, perhaps the best ball striker in the world, stick a couple shots close.
This is a little more than a silly season week on the Euro Tour, however, with the DP World Tour Championship concluding the The Final Series (their version of the FedExCup). There will be $8 million on the line as the Euros wrap up the year in Dubai.
h/t Shane Bacon at Yahoo's Devil Ball Golf
More from SB Nation Golf:
• PGA and PGA Tour make major increases to richest purses in golf
• Tiger hits first ever golf shot across two continents
• Woods defends his schedule, status as 'independent contractor'
• Tiger's 'done' with the Chamblee incident
• Amazing photos of Rory, Duf, and Phil at Shanghai promo
• A Simple Game: Where golf is more than just a sport