clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Lookit

Poisonous ice resurfacer sends 81 people to hospital

New, comments
Jasper Juinen/Getty Images

An ice resurfacer is being blamed for sending 81 people to the hospital in Wisconsin on Saturday. Officials revealed that a carbon monoxide leak in the propane-fueled vehicle caused fans and players to become ill.

The Olympia machine was not properly combusting propane from the tanks, a local fire chief told the Star Tribune. As a result, people at a Minnesota Junior Hockey League game between the Dells Ducks and Rochester Ice Hawks were said to be experiencing nausea, vomiting and fainting on Saturday. One player fainted and was hospitalized early Sunday morning to receive oxygen therapy. Head coach Bill Zaniboni told reporters the player would not resume practice until Wednesday.

The resurfacer has been taken out of commission. Poppy Waterman Ice Arena was not required to have carbon monoxide sensors under state law.