Barcelona announced planned upgrades to Camp Nou Stadium, and the numbers are absolutely staggering. Already the largest stadium in Europe with 100,000 seats, Camp Nou will become a 105,000 seat venue by 2021. The cost for those 5,000 seats? The cool cost of $711 MILLION dollars.
The 500 million pound price tag was announced Wednesday as part of the designs for the new-look Camp Nou. The stadium will gain a massive canopy to shade fans, while a new-look concourse will add to the aesthetic. The astounding price is what's turning heads following the announcement.
To put this in perspective:
- The price tag equates to each new seat costing $142,243.29.
- Roughly half of AT&T Stadium (home of the Dallas Cowboys) could be paid for with this 5,000 seat upgrade alone.
- 25 of the NFL's 31 stadiums cost less than the Camp Nou upgrade.
- The upgrade costs are more than eight countries' total GDP.
- This upgrade could pay Lionel Messi's salary for 24 years.
- Vladi Private Islands, a company that sells ENTIRE PRIVATE ISLANDS, has a slider that only goes up to $200 million. Barcelona could buy TWO ISLANDS with the upgrade money.