Joe Thomas had some interesting tips for high school football players looking to gain weight — and they’re terrifying.
Tip for guys trying to gain weight for football. When I was in HS, I would take an entire loaf of bread, make it all into PBJ sandwiches. Then I’d eat 1/2 a sandwich every hour and wash it down with a glass of whole milk. Guaranteed weight gain.— Joe Thomas (@joethomas73) March 23, 2018
In order to understand how horrific this is you need to appreciate what precisely Thomas is talking about here.
- A standard loaf of sandwich bread has 18 slices.
- This means Thomas made 9 PB&Js for the day.
- One half per hour doesn’t sound too nuts, but ...
- That means it took him 18 hrs to consume them all.
- This means his last half of sandwich sat out for 18 hrs after being made.
- Assuming Joe was drinking average 8 oz glasses of water he consumed 1.2 GALLONS of milk a day.
- It’s been found that drinking more than three glasses of milk a day can lead to early death.
Keep in mind that this was all in addition to his standard three meals a day. I’m very worried for Joe. Especially in light of his late-night snack.
Back when I used to practice (llloooonnngg time ago ) I used to drink 2 big glasses of whole milk and a sleeve of thin mint Girl Scout cookies before bed just to get enough calories in the day to maintain weight. https://t.co/KGqLeARGWH— Joe Thomas (@joethomas73) March 23, 2018