The Washington Capitals are in the Stanley Cup Final for the first time since the 97-98 season and it just feels ... weird. I mean, if you’re a DC sports fan then I’m really happy for you. It just feels like something is cosmically off to see the Caps in the Stanley Cup Final. It’s like seeing a Muppet’s legs.
Nonetheless, it’s a time of celebration and reflection on the simple things — like how damn long 20 years actually is.
I mean ... look at Britney and Justin.
Last time the Capitals made the Stanley Cup Final pic.twitter.com/ateTr2QTKt— Reese Waters (@reesewaters) May 24, 2018
Or what the Washington Post looked like when the Caps made the cup last time.
But here are some more fun facts from 1998.
- Armageddon was the highest-grossing film of the year.
- The soundtrack for Titanic was the best-selling album.
- Master P played for the Charlotte Hornets in the NBA preseason.
- Jaromir Jagr led the NHL with 102 points.
- The Nokia 5110 was the hottest cell phone in the world.
- Jayson Tatum and Markelle Fultz were born.
- Cleveland had not experienced pain, as the Browns didn’t exist.
- Lloyd Bridges, star of City Slickers II: The Legend of Curly’s Gold dies.
- The investigation into Bill Clinton’s relationship with Monica Lewinski begins.
- Red Bull appears in the U.S. for the first time.
- The Capitals make the Stanley Cup Final.
What a time to be alive.