clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Practice wreck forces three drivers to backup cars for Sprint Unlimited

Carl Edwards, Kurt Busch and Mark Martin will have to go to backup cars for Saturday night's Sprint Unlimited race after a five-car accident in Friday practice.

Jerry Markland

The 2013 NASCAR season wasn't more than 10 minutes old Friday at Daytona International Speedway before a wreck left some teams scrambling to fix their damaged cars.

The incident began off of Turn 4 as drivers were practicing for Saturday's Sprint Unlimited exhibition race, as Matt Kenseth turned across the nose of Kurt Busch's Chevrolet to start the five-car accident.

Other drivers involved included Mark Martin, Carl Edwards and Juan Pablo Montoya.

Kenseth took full responsibility for the melee afterwards, saying he didn't see that Busch's No. 78 car had gotten underneath him as they sped towards the tri-oval.

Busch, Martin and Edwards all announced that they will have to go to backup cars for the non-points event featuring pole winners from last year.

"I didn't see anything," Edwards said. "I should have been listening to my spotter, Jason Hedleski, because he said, ‘watch ‘em, watch ‘em' about two seconds before this happened.

"... It is pretty frustrating. The silver lining for us is that last year we came down here and we sat on the pole for the 500 and everything was cool and smooth and our year went terrible. Hopefully this is all our bad luck."

A video of the wreck is posted below: