Thabo Sefolosha has been found not guilty by the Manhattan Criminal Court for three charges brought against him by the NYPD, including resisting arrest, stemming from a nightclub incident last April.
Sefolosha, a forward for the Atlanta Hawks, was arrested on April 8 along with teammate Pero Antic. Sefolosha broke his leg in the encounter -- an injury he said was caused by the police -- and missed the rest of the season, being charged with misdemeanor resisting arrest, obstructing government administration and disorderly conduct.
The jury took just 45 minutes to deliberate and find Sefolosha not guilty on Friday.
Sefolosha had previously spurned a plea deal that was reportedly lenient and would have wiped away his criminal record, opting for a jury trial. Sefolosha's attorney, Alex Spiro, said Sefolosha followed that course of action because he insisted on clearing his name.
After undergoing surgery last April, Sefolosha said he hopes to be ready to start the season on Oct. 28.
Free man pic.twitter.com/Cs7o2elUm7— Lindsey Adler (@Lahlahlindsey) October 9, 2015
Sefolosha said he hasn't made up his mind whether he will sue the city for the injury inflicted, according to Buzzfeed's Lindsey Adler.
Executive director of the NBA Players Association Michele Roberts also tweeted this shortly after the decision.
THABO AQUITTED! JUSTICE PREVAILS! THABO HAD THE COURAGE TO FIGHT THE CHARGES - WE ARE SO PROUD! #NOTGUILTY— Michele Roberts (@MRobertsNBPA) October 9, 2015
Sefolosha released the following statement Friday afternoon:
Statement from Hawks guard Thabo Sefolosha on court decision in NYC that has "my name cleared of any wrongdoing." pic.twitter.com/jNtgVevxFQ— Marc J. Spears (@SpearsNBAYahoo) October 9, 2015