The Ravens had a down year in 2015, which is somewhat abnormal for Baltimore. The Ravens finished just 5-11 and find themselves in unfamiliar drafting territory. Baltimore hasn't picked this high in the first round since 2000, but if this pick hits the team's fortunes will be turned around quickly.
Making the critical selection for the Ravens is Kyle P. Barber of Baltimore Beatdown.
6. Ravens: Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State
Barber: With the sixth pick in the draft, the Ravens are thrilled to land the defensive phenom that is Joey Bosa. While we contemplated selecting either DeForest Buckner or Ronnie Stanley at this point, Bosa seems like the safest pick here. The Ravens subscribe to the "swing for a double, not a home run" strategy, and Bosa certainly seems like the prospect with the highest floor. He could be immediately added to the Ravens' staunch pass-rush rotation, and would eventually become the successor to Terrell Suggs. Bosa will likely be asked to line up at outside linebacker for the Ravens, and that makes sense when you consider Bosa's ability to set the edge.
In an offseason interview, Ravens' owner Steve Bisciotti made it clear that he's enamored with a strong pass rush, referring to himself as a "pass rush guy" and gushing over the defense of the Denver Broncos that won the franchise a Super Bowl. It's pretty clear that the Ravens are set on improving their defensive pressure, and Bosa fits that bill perfectly.
Analysis: To get the player I consider the best in this year's draft would obviously be a steal of the Ravens with the sixth overall selection. While he may not be a natural fit at linebacker, he would play with his hand down enough for the selection to make sense.
Dan's Top 5 players remaining
- 6. DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon
- 7. Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State
- 8. Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame
- 10. Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida
- 11. Darron Lee, LB, Ohio State
- 1-6: Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State
- 2-36: (coming April 11)
Complete draft results:
1. Tennessee Titans - Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss (Link)
2. Cleveland Browns - Jared Goff, QB, Cal (Link)
3. San Diego Chargers - Jalen Ramsey, DB, Florida State (Link)
4. Dallas Cowboys - Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State
5. Jacksonville Jaguars - Myles Jack, LB, UCLA
6. Baltimore Ravens - Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State