The New York Giants are in somewhat of a weird spot as a franchise. They have Eli Manning, an up-and-down quarterback, but few weapons around him beyond Odell Beckham Jr. The offensive line play has been inconsistent, which may be the reason for Manning's erratic play. Even though the team used a top 10 pick on left tackle Ereck Flowers a year ago, they may need to address the front again.
That's exactly what Ed Valentine of Big Blue View has in mind with the 10th pick in the SB Nation NFL writers mock draft:
10. Giants: Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame
Valentine: There are valid arguments to be made for any number of players/positions at No. 10 for the Giants. I have said all offseason that the Giants’ primary need is more talent across the breadth of the entire roster. Their massive spending on the defensive side of the ball in free agency did not change that.
You could make a valid case for a wide receiver, where the consensus choice would be Laquon Treadwell. The same for cornerback, where Vernon Hargreaves would look really nice in the slot and as an eventual replacement for Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. Shaq Lawson would be a nice fit. Leonard Floyd would give the Giants a pass-rushing outside linebacker, something they haven’t had.
The best choice, though, is Stanley. The Giants have been trying for years now to complete an overhaul of their offensive line. Stanley could be the final piece, and he could be a security blanket in the event that Ereck Flowers, last year’s first-round pick, does not develop at left tackle the way the Giants think he will.
Protecting Eli Manning and extending his career is a major priority for the Giants, so Stanley is the pick.
Analysis: Ed is certainly right on that the Giants will have a lot of options with the 10th pick. That's why you have to wonder if they'll try hard to move back in the first round. My only criticism of the logic is that drafting Stanley should push Flowers to the right. From a playing style standpoint -- Stanley is a finnesse blocker with good feet -- he's almost strictly a left side player in the NFL.
Dan's Top 5 players remaining
- 10. Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida
- 11. Darron Lee, LB, Ohio State
- 12. A'Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama
- 13. Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson
- 14. Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss
- 1-10: Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame
- 2-40: (coming April 13)
Complete draft results:
1. Tennessee Titans - Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss (Link)
2. Cleveland Browns - Jared Goff, QB, Cal (Link)
3. San Diego Chargers - Jalen Ramsey, DB, Florida State (Link)
4. Dallas Cowboys - Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State (Link)
5. Jacksonville Jaguars - Myles Jack, LB, UCLA (Link)
6. Baltimore Ravens - Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State (Link)
7. San Francisco 49ers - DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon (Link)
8. Philadelphia Eagles - Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State (Link)
9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Noah Spence, DE, Eastern Kentucky (Link)
10. New York Giants - Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame