At this time two years ago, quarterback Teddy Bridgewater was still expected to be a top-five pick in the 2014 NFL Draft. When the first round started, Bridgewater plummeted all the way to the last pick of the first round. If there is one truism to expect with the draft, it is to expect the unexpected.
That's especially true at quarterback where teams will have wildly different grades at the position. Its why Alex Smith got picked before Aaron Rodgers, or Matt Leinart over Jay Cutler. Despite what we assume might happen, the unexpected will occur. That's what happened during the recording of this week's Mocking the Draft podcast. On the shows, hosts Matthew Fairburn of Syracuse Media Group and Dan Kadar of SB Nation did a live first round mock draft. In it, two of the three expected first-round quarterbacks slid.
The top 10 might be considered the landing spot for Carson Wentz of North Dakota State, but he slipped after being passed over by the San Francisco 49ers. That caused a ripple effect with Paxton Lynch, who slipped even further in the first round, and landed in a somewhat unexpected spot.
But if the opposite happens -- where Wentz and Lynch get picked higher than we expect -- don't be shocked. After all, it's the draft and anything can happen.
For MtD podcast mock, Fairburn did the odd picks and Kadar did the evens. Listen to the below (or subscribe on iTunes) to hear the explanations.
1. Tennessee Titans: Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss
2. Cleveland Browns: Jared Goff, QB, Cal
3. San Diego Chargers: Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State
4. Dallas Cowboys: Jalen Ramsey, CB, Florida State
5. Jacksonville Jaguars: Myles Jack, LB, UCLA
6. Baltimore Ravens: Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame
7. San Francisco 49ers: DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon
8. Miami Dolphins: Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida
9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson
10. New York Giants: Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State
11. Chicago Bears: Darron Lee, LB, Ohio State
12. New Orleans Saints: Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama
13. Philadelphia Eagles: Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State
14. Oakland Raiders: Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson
15. Los Angeles Rams: Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State
16. Detroit Lions: A’Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama
17. Atlanta Falcons: Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss
18. Indianapolis Colts: Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia
19. Buffalo Bills: Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville
20. New York Jets: Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis
21. Washington: Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor
22. Houston Texans: Vernon Butler, DT, Louisiana Tech
23. Minnesota Vikings: Josh Doctson, WR, TCU
24. Cincinnati Bengals: Corey Coleman, WR, Baylor
25. Pittsburgh Steelers: Noah Spence, OLB, Eastern Kentucky
26. Seattle Seahawks: Jason Spriggs, OT, Indiana
27. Green Bay Packers: Reggie Ragland, MLB, Alabama
28. Kansas City Chiefs: Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State
29. Arizona Cardinals: Emmanuel Ogbah, OLB/DE, Oklahoma State
30. Carolina Panthers: Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State
31. Denver Broncos: Cody Whitehair, G, Kansas State