Miami Dolphins defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle is the second coaching casualty of the team's 1-3 start to the season. Days after firing head coach Joe Philbin, the Dolphins have decided to axe Coyle, according to Albert Breer of NFL Network.
The team made it official Thursday and named Lou Anarumo, who had been Miami's defensive backs coach since 2012, the new defensive coordinator.
Interim head coach Dan Campbell was expected to get the final say on whether Coyle would remain with the team, but after discussing the need for the Dolphins to "change the culture" at his introductory press conference, it appears Coyle was part of that change. The team reportedly considered former coaches Jim Schwartz, Greg Schiano and Mike Smith for the position, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.
Despite a major free agency spending spree, Miami has looked unimpressive through four weeks. The Dolphins allowed 425 yards in a 27-14 loss to the New York Jets Sunday, which further sunk the team's now defense, now ranked third-worst in the NFL. Miami had the 21st-ranked defense in the league last season after finishing with the 12th-ranked defense in each of Coyle's first two seasons. Coyle had been the team's defensive coordinator since 2012.
Coyle's dismissal doesn't come as a surprise after reports were swirling over the weekend that his job was in jeopardy. NFL Media's Rand Getlin reported Saturday that players were close to "throwing in the towel" if the losing persisted. The Dolphins have dropped three consecutive games after squeaking by Washington in Week 1.
Getlin says players are frustrated with the play calling and don't like how practices have been run.
"We've been going out there and practicing our (tails) off every day, but as players, we're tired of being embarrassed," said one member of the Dolphins. "If we get beat in Europe, (players) are going to throw in the towel. It isn't the players. We have all the talent in the world."
Perhaps the biggest disappointment of the year has been the play of nose tackle Ndamukong Suh, who had just six tackles entering Week 4 despite signing a $114 million contract with the Dolphins last offseason. Suh was accused of ignoring Coyle's play calls, though both he and Philbin denied those accusations.
The defensive line's production as a whole has been futile this season. The Dolphins have only recorded one sack throughout the first four weeks, which puts them dead last in the NFL in that category. It's a big reason why the Dolphins appear to be on their way to missing the playoffs for the seventh consecutive year after lofty preseason expectations.