The Tennessee Titans have the first pick in the 2016 NFL Draft. The Titans secured the No. 1 overall selection by losing to the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday. That loss dropped Tennessee to 3-13 on the season.
Although that's the same record as the Cleveland Browns, the Titans get the first pick because of a strength of schedule tiebreaker. Now it's a matter of what to do with that pick.
This is the third time the Titans/Houston Oilers organization has landed the first pick. The last time was in 1978 when the Oilers selected running back Earl Campbell.
With the first pick in hand and a young franchise quarterback in Marcus Mariota, it's reasonable to say Tennessee would be a destination job. Of course, that is assuming interim head coach Mike Mularkey isn't elevated into a full-time role.
Since Tennessee has a quarterback, the team has three viable options with the top pick. The first is to take Ole Miss junior left tackle Laremy Tunsil and shift Taylor Lewan to the right side. The second is to go with Ohio State defensive end Joey Bosa, arguably the draft's top player. The final option is to auction the pick off, most likely to a team that might want a quarterback.
The top 20 picks in the draft are now set:
1. Tennessee Titans: 3-13 (.492 strength of schedule)
2. Cleveland Browns: 3-13 (.531 SOS)
3. San Diego Chargers: 4-12 (.528 SOS)
4. Dallas Cowboys: 4-12 (.533 SOS)
5. Jacksonville Jaguars: 5-11 (.473 SOS)
6. Baltimore Ravens: 5-11 (.508 SOS)
7. San Francisco 49ers: 5-11 (.539 SOS)
8. Miami Dolphins: 6-10 (.469 SOS)
9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 6-10 (.484 SOS)
10. New York Giants: 6-10 (.498 SOS)
11. Chicago Bears: 6-10 (.548 SOS)
12. New Orleans Saints: 7-9 (.504 SOS)
13. Philadelphia Eagles: 7-9 (.508 SOS)
14. Oakland Raiders: 7-9 (.512 SOS)
15. St. Louis Rams: 7-9 (.528 SOS)
16. Detroit Lions: 7-9 (.536 SOS)
17. Atlanta Falcons: 8-8 (.478 SOS)
18. Indianapolis Colts: 8-8 (.500 SOS)
19. Buffalo Bills: 8-8 (.508 SOS)
20. New York Jets: 10-6 (.441 SOS)
* * *
SB Nation presents: Bills kicker misses kick attempt but nails himself