Team owner Jerry Jones implied Tuesday that the Cowboys quarterback situation may take longer to clear up than we previously thought. In an interview Tuesday with the local Shan and RJ radio show in Dallas, Jones shed light on the potentially imminent QB battle between recovering starter Tony Romo and his impressive rookie fill-in Dak Prescott.
“I’m not gonna speak for [Romo],” Jones said in regards to whether Romo would accept a backup role. “The key thing I want to emphasize is we probably are never going to have this totally sorted out. We're going to play it by ear, play it as it comes.”
Although Jones did not clarify whether Romo would be active for the Week 10 game in Pittsburgh, he did indicate that Romo will continue to increase his practice load. “He's got to absolutely get ready to play at his top level ... I think he can get there and you'll see that at practice this week,” Jones added.
That implies the possibility Romo rejoins the Cowboys as an active backup. That would be a major transformation for Jones, who originally indicated his desire to have Romo back as the starter as soon as possible. Jones has been increasingly noncommittal to Romo’s re-enshrinement as a starter, referring to Romo’s return as an active player rather than explicitly as the starter.
Jones seems pleased, however, with the prospect of having two quarterbacks who merit starting.
“I think Tony Romo is one of the best quarterbacks to play this game,” Jones said. “I get very excited when I look at Dak and his future. I just don't have a problem with this situation.”