Johnny Manziel turned himself in to authorities Wednesday after being indicted on a misdemeanor assault charge April 26, according to Fox 4. He posted his $1,500 bail and appeared in court Thursday. The judge set two bond conditions for Manziel: He's not allowed to contact his accuser, ex-girlfriend Colleen Crowley, and he's not allowed to be in possession of a gun. Manziel signed an affidavit saying he did not own any firearms.
His second court date will be June 24, according to NFL Network's Omar Ruiz.
Manziel's indictment stems from a January domestic violence incident with his ex-girlfriend. On Jan. 30, Crowley told law enforcement she attempted to leave Manziel's downtown Dallas hotel room. But the former Heisman winner reportedly forced her into his car and then struck her in her left ear as she was trying to exit the vehicle. Crowley's affidavit says she ruptured her left eardrum and lost hearing.
This incident is the climax of what has been a tumultuous offseason for Manziel. Ever since the Browns released him March 11, he's been frequently spotted partying in Las Vegas amidst public warnings from his family and associates. Manziel's father said in February he fears his son won't see his 24th birthday, and Drew Rosenhaus, Manziel's second agent since the 2015 season, dumped him last month because he refuses to seek treatment. Manziel went into rehab for undisclosed reasons last year.
On Tuesday, Manziel's coach at Texas A&M, Kevin Sumlin, told radio host Paul Finebaum he's been unable to connect with the former Heisman trophy winner as well.
"We’ve reached out to him and I haven’t gotten a response yet," Sumlin told the radio program. "What we want is for him to be at peace and be safe. That has nothing to do with football and has everything to do with his life."