clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Seahawks violated NFL concussion protocol by not examining Russell Wilson, per report

Wilson’s return to Thursday’s game could be a costly one for Seattle.

Seattle Seahawks v Arizona Cardinals Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images

On Thursday night, NFL referee Walt Anderson sent Russell Wilson back to his sideline out of fear the quarterback may have suffered a concussion. The Seahawks failed to have him cleared before re-inserting him in the game, and now Seattle may be in trouble.

According to ESPN reporter Adam Schefter, the Seahawks will have to face league discipline — including a fine of up to $150,000 — for violating the concussion protocol. While Wilson briefly spent time in his team’s injury tent, he jogged back onto the field before a team doctor and independent physician could clear him to return. In all, he missed only one play, raising eyebrows and sparking a thorough investigation from the NFL.

The league and the NFL Player’s Association will conduct interviews regarding the situation, though a ruling isn’t expected to be handed down for a few weeks.

What this means for the Seahawks: Seattle came under scrutiny Thursday night after Wilson’s quick return to the field, and now the franchise will have to await the league’s ruling before finding out just how costly its mistake was. While the Seahawks beat the Cardinals 22-16, the victory has proven to be a Pyrrhic one. The club not only lost multiple starters -- including All-Pro cornerback Richard Sherman — to injury, but now will have their medical staff thrown under scrutiny as the league attempts to determine the severity of its negligence.

What this means for Russell Wilson: Wilson’s tenure in Seattle has been marred by his team’s inability to protect him — and it turns out that extends beyond just his shoddy blocking. The Pro Bowl quarterback assured reporters he was fine and that he’d answered all the questions required to return to the field.

"I think I was kinda like laying down on the ground for a second just trying to get my jaw, and I think Walt thought maybe I was injured or something like that,” Wilson told reporters after the game. “I told him I was good, I was good, and he said, 'Come off the field.'

"I think Walt did a great job first of all. He made the smartest decision. I was fine, though, 100 percent fine. And then they finally went over through the whole concussion stuff and all that. We went through every question you could imagine, and I answered even some more for them just so they knew I was good, and then went back in there."

Wilson’s always had a warrior’s mentality when it comes to staying on the field. Possibly from the nanobubbles he’s invested so heavily in.