The NHL trade deadline is on Monday, March 2, and as usual, the rumors are flying in the days leading up to the event. This year, unlike most years, it seems like deadline day could be a little slow, as many big deals have happened in the days and weeks leading up to the deadline.
But the final hours before 3 p.m. on the day of the deadline never actually disappoint, and we'll certainly be in store for some fun before the NHL's central registry closes its doors until summer. Until then, we're here to help you sift through all the nonsense and all the actual talk.
Here's a list of every important trade rumor, constantly updated as we approach the 3 p.m. ET March 2 deadline.
* * *
* * *
* * *
March 2 (deadline day!)
- ZIDLICKY IS DETROIT'S BACK UP PLAN: If a Dion Phaneuf trade falls through, expect the Red Wings to go after New Jersey's Marek Zidlicky.
- SHARKS SHOPPING NIEMI: Time to reset in goal for the San Jose Sharks?
- WINGS NEED SALARY CUT ON PHANEUF: The Red Wings are interested in Leafs captain Dion Phaneuf, but they need Toronto to take some of the salary if a deal is going to get done.
- BOSTON IN ON MICHALEK, TOO: Renaud Lavoie of TVA reports that in addition to St. Louis, Boston is in talks with Arizona about defenseman Zbynek Michalek. Pair him with Zdeno Chara and you have the first all-Z pairing in NHL history.
- BRUINS AREN'T DONE: Darren Dreger reports that the Bruins still want to add a "big" defenseman.
- FLYERS DIDNT TRADE FOR VOYNOV: Despite a Russian report that the Flyers had acquired suspended and accused domestic beater Slava Voynov, most insiders in North America say the news is not true.
- BLUES AFTER ZBYNEK MICHALEK: "Deep in talks," according to Pierre LeBrun.
- LEAFS TRYING TO UNLOAD PHANEUF: This could be the big deal of deadline day.
- BRUINS ADD BELESKEY TO WISH LIST: The Bruins might look to the Ducks for forward depth.
- SHEPPARD ON THE MOVE: San Jose could be looking to trade Sheppard before Monday's deadline.
- COBURN ON THE MARKET: The Philadelphia Flyers are actively shopping defenseman Braydon Coburn.
- JETS WANT FORWARD HELP: Arctic Ice Hockey takes a look at which forwards the Jets could target before the deadline on Monday.
- MAREK ZIDLICKY TRADE LIKELY: ESPN reports that Marek Zidlicky of the New Jersey Devils is "likely" to be traded, but that it will have to be to a contender since the player has a no-move clause.
- THORNTON, MARLEAU SAFE IN SAN JOSE: Neither Joe Thornton nor Patrick Marleau have been asked to waive their no-trade clauses.
- BERNIER AVAILABLE: The Leafs are willing to trade goaltender Jonathan Bernier, but according to Damien Cox, the deal would take big return.
- LOL BUFFALO: Look at the reported asking price for Chris Stewart. Just look at it, and then laugh.
- MARTIN HAVLAT SCRATCHED: Looks as though the Devils are trying to move Martin Havlat.
- PHILLY PROBABLY NOT DONE: They've already shipped out Kimmo Timonen, and in a buyers market the Philadelphia Flyers probably won't stand pat.
- KINGS WANT DION PHANEUF? The Toronto Sun reports that the Kings have had interest in Leafs defenseman Dion Phaneuf for weeks. Maybe this has changed with their acquisition of Andrej Sekera earlier in the week ... or maybe it hasn't?
- JEFF PETRY SCRATCHED IN EDMONTON: It seems as though Jeff Petry is as good as traded at this point, as he won't play Saturday for the Oilers.
- RANGERS HAVE INTEREST IN TYLER BOZAK: According to the Toronto Sun, NYR keeps "poking around' on the Leafs forward.
- MICHAEL RYDER BEING SHOWCASED: The Devils forward says he wouldn't be surprised if he were traded at the deadline.
- MATS ZUCCARELLO COULD BE MOVED: "Obviously these rumors will and should infuriate any Rangers fan with a pulse."
- CAPS WANT PATRICK SHARP: Blackhawks fans are looking for their general manager to be aggressive, and trading Patrick Sharp would certainly be just that. Other rumors indicate Washington, Montreal and Detroit have interest as well.
- SENATORS LISTENING TO OFFERS: TSN reports that the Senators are taking calls on three players, specifically: defensemen Eric Gryba, Chris Phillips and Patrick Weircioch.
- PANTHERS TO MOVE FLEISCHMANN? Tomas Fleischmann, an unrestricted free agent this summer, could be on the move from the Florida Panthers. ESPN reports that Anaheim could be a home for Flash.
- PHANEUF, KESSEL MIGHT REMAIN LEAFS: According to Darren Dreger, the Leafs are interested in trading Phil Kessel and Dion Phaneuf but they'd rather not take on bad contracts in order to do it. Looks like a summer trade or two could be in the works.
- RANGERS MIGHT WANT TO ADD CENTER: Blueshirt Banter hypothesizes that the New York Rangers might want to add a third-line center to their mix as they head toward the postseason. Here's the reasoning behind their thinking.
- JOFFREY LUPUL THE BRUIN? Toronto almost certainly hopes to move Joffrey Lupul, and Comcast SportsNet reports that Boston could be an option.
- OR MAYBE BOSTON JUST WANTS EVERYBODY: According to ESPN's Pierre LeBrun, the Bruins are in on .... OK, everybody?
- ANTTI RAANTA AVAILABLE: Need a goalie? Blackhawks backup Antti Raanta is on the market.
- SAN JOSE WANTS YOUNG GOALIE: Speaking of Raanta's availability, the Sharks are reportedly in the mix for a goaltender. Current starter Antti Niemi is a free agent soon and they're reportedly not sold on backup Alex Stalock.
- SENS WANTED CLARKSON: David Clarkson was traded to Columbus on Thursday night, and everybody was shocked that Toronto was able to get rid of his contract. Believe it or not, more than one team was willing to take on Clarkson ... the Senators included.
- GIORDANO INJURY MIGHT FORCE FLAMES' HAND: With Calgary captain Mark Giordano out indefinitely, could the playoff-seeking Flames be forced into a deal for a top defenseman?
- ERIK COLE ON THE MOVE? The Dallas Stars are slowing falling out of the playoff race, and even though Stars blog Defending Big D doesn't want to see Erik Cole moved, Dallas is getting calls and might just do so before the March 2 deadline. Cole is a UFA this summer.
- CHICAGO 'CLOSE' TO A DEAL: Who knows what's up Stan Bowman's sleeve, but the Blackhawks are reportedly close to making some kind of deal.
- RANGERS INTERESTED IN JAN HEJDA: The Avalanche are likely to shop defenseman Jan Hejda, and the Denver Post reports that the New York Rangers could be interested.
- CAPS WANT ANOTHER FORWARD: LeBrun reports that the Capitals want to add a winger. Erik Cole, Curtis Glencross and Joffrey Lupul were all named.
- MINNESOTA WANTS TO ADD 'D': Wild general manager Chuck Fletcher says he may look at adding defense at the deadline, but he likes his forward group after acquiring Sean Bergenheim from Florida.
- SABRES REMAIN OPEN FOR BUSINESS: Buffalo made its big deal weeks ago, acquiring Evander Kane and Zach Bogosian, but general manager Tim Murray told a local radio station that he's still taking calls and looking to move some dead weight off of his roster.
- STAAL BROTHERS NOT GOING ANYWHERE: LeBrun reports that the Carolina Hurricanes will not move Jordan and Eric Staal.
- Is Chicago in on Antoine Vermette?
- Blackhawks showing interest in Andrej Sekera, Curtis Glencross.
- James Wisniewski is on the market. Could Detroit grab him?
- Blueshirt Banter doesn't want the Rangers to throw away J.T. Miller.
- The Penguins showed interest in Jordan Staal .... yes, that same Jordan Staal.
- Curtis Glencross is likely to be traded by the Calgary Flames.
- Expecting a slow deadline in Chicago.
- Don't bet on Dion Phaneuf in Dallas.
- The Flyers might trade their longest-tenured player, defenseman Braydon Coburn.
- Boston wants to move Loui Eriksson and/or Dennis Seidenberg.