The 2016 NHL trade deadline falls on Monday, February 29 this year thanks to the Leap Year. Will the craziness of adding an extra day into the calendar make the trade deadline an unforgettable day of moves and signings? Probably not, if the deals made earlier this month are any indication.
Dion Phaneuf is off the market, after the Maple Leafs dealt the defenseman to the Senators for not much outside of freeing cap space. However, Toronto -- nor anyone -- will be able to use their available money to pick up the biggest free agent acquisition this year, Steven Stamkos. The Lightning captain is not for sale heading into the trade deadline, according to GM Steve Yzerman.
One of the year's top Cup contenders, the defending champion Chicago Blackhawks, loaded up already by bringing in former Hawk Andrew Ladd in a trade with Winnipeg. Ladd was traded by the Blackhawks to the then-Atlanta Thrashers back in the summer of 2010, shortly after he won the Cup with Chicago that year. Now he returns hoping to do it again.
Add onto the fact the salary cap itself -- estimated back in December at $74.5 million -- might suffer thanks to the falling of the Canadian dollar, and you've got a recipe that could see more teams holding onto assets thanks to the minuscule amounts of wiggle room some clubs have.
That being said, it hasn't stopped the Maple Leafs from going full tank as the team jettisons assets to make way for draft picks for the coming rebuild. As of a week before the deadline, Toronto has 12 draft picks in the 2016 draft, and could have more by the time next week hits.
Without further ado, here's a list of every important trade rumor as we inch closer to the 3 p.m. deadline on Monday!
Trades, Signings, Notable News
- Feb 28: Rangers trade for Hurricanes captain Eric Staal.
- Feb 28: Flyers sign F Michael Raffl to a three-year extension.
- Feb 27: The Senators and Sabres make a blockbuster trade... for a bunch of minor leaguers.
- Feb 27: Edmonton trades D Justin Schultz to the Penguins for two draft picks.
- Feb 27: Panthers acquire Flames F Jiri Hudler, Oilers F Teddy Purcell and Red Wings D Jakub Kindl in about 45 minutes.
- Feb 27: Leafs trade G James Reimer to the San Jose Sharks.
- Feb 27: The Blues upgraded their net before you finished your morning coffee, trading for Oilers goalie Anders Nilsson.
- Feb 26: Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman is going all out. Late Friday, Chicago picked up F Dale Weise and F Tomas Fleischmann from Montreal in exchange for F Phillip Danault and a 2018 second round pick.
- Feb 26: Chicago continues their quest for the Stanley Cup with the acquisition of D Christian Ehrhoff from the Kings for D Rob Scuderi.
- Feb 26: Lightning take D Brayden Coburn off the market with a three-year, $11.1 million contract extension.
- Feb. 25: Blackhawks add F Andrew Ladd for F Marko Dano and two draft picks
- Feb 23: Capitals trade two draft picks for Buffalo Sabres D Mike Weber.
- Feb 22: Flames acquire F Hunter Shinkaruk for F Markus Granlund from the Canucks.
- Feb 22: Maple Leafs trade D Roman Polak and F Nick Spaling to the Sharks for F Raffi Torres, a 2017 second round pick and 2018 second round pick.
- Feb 21: Maple Leafs trade F Shawn Matthias to Avalanche for F Colin Smith and a 2016 fourth round pick.
- Feb 15: Lightning F Steven Stamkos taken off the trade market by GM Steve Yzerman.
- Feb 9: Maple Leafs trade F Dion Phaneuf plus prospects to Senators for D Jared Cowen, prospects and a 2017 second round pick.
- Feb 8: Jets retain D Dustin Byfuglien with five-year, $38 million extension.
Get the biggest NHL news, rumors and analysis in your inbox every morning!
- Feb 29: Dallas has interest in Kris Russell and Dan Hamhuis.
- Feb 29: The Red Wings are dangling defenseman Brendan Smith as trade bait.
- Feb 27: There are conflicting reports about the Predators trading for Scott Hartnell.
- Feb 27: Are the Bruins keeping Loui Eriksson after all?
- Feb 27: Michael Raffl is a target of the Panthers.
- Feb 27: Florida is interested in Detroit Red Wings defenseman Jakub Kindl.
- Feb 27: Rumors have it that the Blues need to cough up a first rounder in any trade for Loui Eriksson.
- Feb 26: The Capitals look to be buyers at the deadline. What rumors stand out from the noise?
- Feb 26: Loui Eriksson is negotiating with the Boston Bruins today, trying to get an extension done before the trade deadline.
- Feb 25: The Flyers are reportedly "pushing hard" for Jonathan Drouin.
- Feb 25: Patrick Wiercioch's days are numbered in Ottawa, as the Senators have shopped the defenseman around.
- Feb 25: Blackhawks have "serious interest" in Canucks' Radim Vrbata, Dan Hamhuis
- Feb 24: Lightning GM Steve Yzerman intends to trade Jonanthan Drouin trade by the deadline.
- Feb 24: Dallas winger Valeri Nichushkin might be on the trade block.
- Feb 24: The Kings are in on Andrew Ladd. And pretty much everyone else.
- Feb 23: The Maple Leafs have "kicked the tires" on Blackhawks winger Bryan Bickell.
- Feb 22: Are the Stars in on Canucks defenseman Dan Hamhuis?
- Feb 22: Mark Streit might be on the move from Philadelphia, but it might not be without its problems.
- Feb 22: The Predators are in the mix for Dale Weise of the Canadiens.
- Feb 20: P.K. Subban wasn't on the trade rumor market for long. GM Marc Bergevin says the Canadiens aren't trading him.
- Feb 19: What could the Coyotes get back if they trade Mikkel Boedker to the Blackhawks?
- Feb 19: The Canadiens seem to be testing P.K. Subban on the market, and that would be a big mistake for Montreal.
- Feb 19: The Red Wings front office seems to be coveting veteran forward Eric Staal.
- Feb 18: Defenseman Alexei Emelin is the latest Montreal player teams are inquiring about. Wonder why they're sellers this deadline?
- Feb 18: Lars Eller may be on the trading block for Montreal.
- Feb 17: Mikkel Boedker is the hottest trade target this year. Would a trade to the Stars make sense for the Coyotes?
- Feb 17: ESPN's Pierre LeBrun says the Penguins have an interest in Leafs defenseman Roman Polak.
- Feb 16: What we know about who's interested in any available Flames players.
- Feb 16: Chicago needs a top line left winger. Is a deal for Coyotes Mikkel Boedker in play?
- Feb 16: The Canadiens are "not going to have a problem" if they want to move Dale Weise.
- Feb 15: As many have suspected, Patrick Marleau's time in San Jose looks to be coming to an end.
- Feb 15: Would Andrew Ladd Fit with the Dallas Stars?
- Feb 12: Are the Predators in pursuit of a goaltender thanks to Pekka Rinne's struggles?
- Feb 11: The Senators look to be buyers this deadline, and are the frontrunners for Jonathan Drouin.
- Feb 10: The Blackhawks also have a compelling argument for landing Ladd.
- Feb 9: Edmonton looks like they're gearing up to trade Justin Schultz.
- Feb 9: The Bruins should be in the hunt for the Jets' Jacob Trouba.
- Feb 7: Montreal might be jettisoning some veterans, and Pittsburgh could work as a good landing place.
Get the latest trade talk at SB Nation's NHL trade rumors page.
* * *
Magical Ride: John Scott snags All-Star Game MVP
Be sure to subscribe to SB Nation's YouTube channel for highlight videos, features, analysis and more