clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Everton vs. Wigan Athletic: Final score 0-3, Latics give Toffees a sound thrasing

Wigan Athletic blew Everton away in a three-minute first-half spell as Roberto Martinez's side booked a trip to Wembley for an FA Cup Semi-Final.

Michael Steele

Everton started on the front foot and had a good chance to score immediately after a well-worked short corner resulted in Leighton Baines sending in a trademark cross, which Kevin Mirallas headed just wide. Mirallas followed up from open play, with a thunderous effort that caught Paul Scharner in the face - a sore one for the Austrian, and there was a short break in play while he got himself together again.

Wigan were looking dangerous however, and Shaun Maloney almost scored one of the goals of the season when the Scot cut inside from the left and let fly with a vicious curling effort which crashed back off the woodwork with Jan Mucha helpless. Maloney was looking a productive source of creativity for the Latics, and not long after he made good progress on the left flank to tee up Arouna Kone, but the striker couldn't finish the opportunity.

Shortly afterwards, things began to go wrong for Everton, and then went very wrong indeed. In a three-minute spell, they were simply blown away by a flurry of devastating play from Wigan, who were giving one of their typically unstoppable late-season displays. First Maynor Figueroa headed in to take advantage of some poor defending from a corner to give Wigan the goal warranted by their attacking play.

Everton immediately crumbled, however, and just a minute later the lead was doubled, Callum McManaman continuing his bright form in the cups by skipping away from his marker after picking up a wayward pass from Phil Neville before drilling a fine finish past Mucha. The third came straight afterwards too, as amidst a chorus of boos and frustration from the home fans, Kone set up Jordi Gomez to place a good finish into the bottom corner as Wigan ran riot.

The small section of away support gave a standing ovation to their team's performance at half-time, but were quickly drowned out by the furious home fans berating their own side. The second-half was a far more nervy affair, however, and although Wigan showed signs of nerves, Everton never really looked likely to mount a comeback. When their main goal threat, Marouane Fellaini, was withdrawn to yet more jeers, it was no surprise and a depressing sight for the home support.

Kevin Mirallas did have the ball in the net as the half wore on, but the offside flag was rightly raised and Wigan's three-goal lead remained intact. Fellaini's replacement, Ross Barkley, was also presented with a decent opportuntiy as the ball fell to him outside the area, but he lashed his shot well wide.

The last chance of the game also fell to the Toffees, and it was emblematic of Everton's day, Leon Osman being denied before Seamus Coleman headed over the bar with the goal gaping. Fortunately, by then, there were few home fans left inside the ground to see it. It's a disastrous defeat for Everton, the opportunity to win silverware gone for another season, and although they are not out of contention for fourth place, this defeat looked like a seriously demoralising one. David Moyes' reign at Everton has been rumoured to be drawing to a close - if so, it appears it will be ending on a sour note.