clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

South Korea vs. Russia, 2014 World Cup: Final score 1-1, goalkeeper errors were the story in Cuiabá

It was not a good day for the goalkeepers. Errors from both teams' net minders led to late goals.

Warren Little

SB Nation's 2014 World Cup Bracket'

After nearly 70 minutes, Russia and South Korea appeared to be heading to a scoreless draw. Thanks to two goalkeeping errors, both teams scored late goals to cap off a rather dull match with an exciting ending.  Lee Keun-Ho gave South Korea the lead in the 68th minute, but Aleksandr Kerzhakov equalized six minutes later to give us our final score of 1-1.

Despite many feeling that Russia would dominate, South Korea looked strong early, playing the organized style they're known for. Though they did not generate any shots on goal during those early minutes, they looked dangerous, and caused some gray-hair moments for the Russian defense.

Russia slowly wrestled away control of the match as the first half progressed. Their first really good chance came in the 31st minute when Sergei Ignashevich unleashed a booming free kick from 35 yards out that got through traffic and forced a save from Jung Sung-Ryong. Despite Jung leaving a sizable rebound, Russia were unable to pounce on the loose ball, and South Korea cleared the danger.

Koo Ja-Cheol answered back three minutes later, sending in a shot from distance that took a deflection before rolling just wide of the post. Russian goalkeeper Igor Akinfeev was left frozen by the deflection, and there would have been nothing he could have done to stop the goal if it had stayed on target.

Son Heung-Min had a glorious opportunity in the 39th minute, getting free on the edge of the Russia box with a clear line on goal. Instead of testing Akinfeev though, Son's shot went soaring well wide, and high, of the goal.

Both sides opened the second half with chances, but the opening goal remained elusive.

At last in the 68th minute, a goal. South Korea's Lee Keun-Ho unleashed what appeared to a pedestrian strike from outside the Russian box. Akinfeev had the shot stopped, but a momentary lapse of concentration allowed the ball to bounce off his hands, over his head and into the net, giving South Korea a 1-0 lead.

Six minutes later, another goalkeeper error, albeit less severe than Akinfeev's, led to Russia finding an equalizer.

Denis Glushakov's initial shot was saved by Jung, but he left a big rebound as he had many times before, and this time Russia was there to pounce. Kerzhakov tried to take a shot, but succeeded in bouncing the ball off Andrey Eshchenko's chest, sending the ball back to Kerzhakov's foot. The striker took a couple steps before firing a low show into the empty net, making the score 1-1.

Russia: Akinfeev, Eshchenko, Ignashevich, Berezutskiy, Kombarov, Glushakov (Denisov 72'), Fayzulin, Zhirkov (Kerzhakov 71'), Shatov (Dzagoev 59'), Samedov, Kokorin

Goals: Kerzhakov (74')

South Korea: Jung S, Yun S, Kim Y, Hong JH (Hwang S 72'), Lee Yong, Ki S, Han K, Son HM (Kim B 84'), Koo J, Lee CY, Park C (Lee K 56')

Goals: Lee K (68')