clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Wimbledon results 2013: Andy Murray captures Britain's 1st men's home title in 77 years

Andy Murray defeated Novak Djokovic in straight sets to claim Great Britain's first Wimbledon title in nearly eight decades.

Clive Brunskill

Andy Murray defeated Novak Djokovic in Sunday's Wimbledon final 6-4, 7-5, 6-4 becoming the first British player to win tennis' most coveted title since 1936. The win marks Murray's second major championship victory in the last 12 months, both coming over Djokovic. Both Murray and the partisan London crowd were exultant at the victory.

Murray came out firing, earning six break points in Djokovic's first two service games while the top seed struggled to find his rhythm. Murray finally cashed in on the sixth break point, but Djokovic immediately replied with a break of his own. Murray's second break of the first set gave him a 4-3 advantage, and the Brit successfully held off three Djokovic break points in the next game to extend his lead. After a Djokovic hold, Murray successfully held serve at love to take the first set 6-4.

Djokovic quickly cleaned up the errors that plagued him in the first set, taking an early second set lead after breaking Murray in the set's fourth game. Down 4-2, Murray hammered a forehand off the net cord and by Djokovic, then converted his third break point of the game to narrow Djokovic's advantage. Each player held through the next three service games as the second set went to 5-5, but Murray earned a crucial late break for a 6-5 lead. He served out at love for a 7-5 second set victory.

Djokovic repeatedly feuded with the chair umpire throughout the match, particularly after running out of challenges early in the second set. In the crucial eleventh game of the second set, a deep Murray return called in by the line judge prompted an angry tirade from Djokovic. Later replays confirmed that the return had caught the line.

Murray again broke Djokovic in the first game of the third set, and a dejected Djokovic appeared to lose focus. In the following game, Murray held serve on a pair of Djokovic unforced errors. Djokovic then double faulted to open the third game, following that with a poor volley to open the door for another Murray winner. Down two sets and facing a potential 0-3 deficit in the third, Djokovic found his footing, hammering four consecutive winners past Murray to take the game. He then quickly broke Murray's serve to even the third set at 2-2. Djokovic, possibly finding a weakness in Murray's conditioning, began feeding the Brit a steady stream of unreturned drop shots in his service game and a second break of Murray's serve. In what felt like the blink of an eye, Djokovic went from a near-double break deficit to a 4-2 lead.

However, the set turned back in favor of Murray when he made the next three winners. Up 5-4, Murray played four deuces before winning the match on Djokovic's backhand return that hit the middle of the net. Great Britain's drought at winning its home tournament has ended.